When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want an easier pedaling Phantom ?

-

Rayzur

Finally riding a big boys bike

I recently bought a 1953 Black Phantom. The previous owner installed a 22 tooth sprocket at the rear wheel which made the bike easier to pedal . I have a bad hip so it still wasn't easy enough for me to get it going .

I had an old 46 tooth front sprocket laying around but I didn't like the idea of changing the looks of my Phantom that much. That's when I came up with an idea to get my easy pedaling and maintain the original Phantom look (if you don't look to closely) .

I turned the original 52 tooth sprocket around and installed the 46 tooth behind it , shortened the chain a bit and it was ready to go . Lots easier to pedal now and no one really notices what was done . Basically looks pretty normal . If you decide to sell the bike, it only takes about 20 minutes to return it to normal . Hope this modification helps to make it possible for some of you old timers like me to get back out on your favorite rides !......( I had the tank off for a good cleaning and waxing )

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

Last edited:
Another option might be a Sturmey Archer (English) 24-tooth cog sprocket, with added links of chain, and 52/24 yields ~2.2 ratio compared to the 46/22 at ~2.1 ratio.
Also, I believe there is a seller named John (from Indiana?) who may still have some undersized chain ring sprockets that have that A&S style as shown.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this promote chain rub/wear with it against the front larger chain ring & or any Chain line issues? I like the idea but you guys have some expensive bikes; whether you ride'em a lot or not at all.

Wouldn't this promote chain rub/wear with it against the front larger chain ring & or any Chain line issues? I like the idea but you guys have some expensive bikes; whether you ride'em a lot or not at all.
I was very surprised that both sprockets fit under the chain guard just fine ...no rubbing what so ever . The original sprocket doesn't touch the chain at all .

Back