When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: 1895 "Search Light" reflector, added photo

-

OxYossi

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello,
I'm looking for reflector for "Search Light" lantern model A , 1895
I add a pictures of the reflector from the net.
If you have better picture of ithe reflector, please upload it here.
Thanks, Yossi

added: Back photo
134343255471 ~ Bridgeport Company Search Light kerosene bicycle lamp ~ 1 ~ $155-_jc.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't have the reflector,
I made a draw of what I believe is the shape of the reflector, by the incomplete lamp that I have and the pictures from the net.
I think that it it made from one piece of chrome coatied brass.
Thanks, Yossi

Hi,
I don't have the reflector,
I made a draw of what I believe is the shape of the reflector, by the incomplete lamp that I have and the pictures from the net.
I think that it it made from one piece of chrome coatied brass.
Thanks, Yossi

View attachment 1521904
Hello Yossi, I just now found your thread, and might have some advice to offer. If you are not able to find an original exact reflector for your headlight, you might can fabricate one inexpensively at home. It might not be totally exact to the original, but it would be close, and would work and look good. Oddly enough, on a lot of these 1890s bicycle headlights, the reflectors are often not made of nickel plated brass like the rest of the headlight is, but are instead made of polished aluminum. Aluminum was viewed of as an advanced and futuristic metal in the 1890s, and that is part of the reason why it was favored for use in this way at the time, in addition to its corrosion and heat resistance. What you might think of trying would be to go and buy a canned drink like a soda, and choose a can that looks close to the diameter you need. You could then, with scissors, cut out the bottom of the can which is concave like the original headlight reflectors, and then fabricate a new reflector from that. The aluminum would already be quite polished and shiny, and could be polished more, and if done right you could probably make a really good quality part. The thickness of aluminum in most drink cans is comparable to that of the original reflectors. That is just an idea that you could try, if all else fails, or if you want to save a little money. Here is an example of the can you would look for:

1638618680135.png
1638618774140.png

Hello Yossi, I just now found your thread, and might have some advice to offer. If you are not able to find an original exact reflector for your headlight, you might can fabricate one inexpensively at home. It might not be totally exact to the original, but it would be close, and would work and look good. Oddly enough, on a lot of these 1890s bicycle headlights, the reflectors are often not made of nickel plated brass like the rest of the headlight is, but are instead made of polished aluminum. Aluminum was viewed of as an advanced and futuristic metal in the 1890s, and that is part of the reason why it was favored for use in this way at the time, in addition to its corrosion and heat resistance. What you might think of trying would be to go and buy a canned drink like a soda, and choose a can that looks close to the diameter you need. You could then, with scissors, cut out the bottom of the can which is concave like the original headlight reflectors, and then fabricate a new reflector from that. The aluminum would already be quite polished and shiny, and could be polished more, and if done right you could probably make a really good quality part. The thickness of aluminum in most drink cans is comparable to that of the original reflectors. That is just an idea that you could try, if all else fails, or if you want to save a little money. Here is an example of the can you would look for:

View attachment 1521908 View attachment 1521911
Thanks for the good advice,
At this point I am still looking for the original reflector,
If I give up, it seems to me that I will follow your advice
Thanks, Yossi

Only one I have is 1 1/2" in diameter. It's held in place by a single rivet at the center rear of the reflector through the lamp shell. Several others just had a polished, somewhat parabolic back to the shell.
reflector oil.jpg

Hi,
I just saw your reply, sorry for my very slow response.
I think the reflector should be bigger and one piece with the metal around it like in my drawing,.
Mybe it can help me for other lamp, Do you have the oil tank of the lamp in your picture ?
Thanks, Yossi

Back