When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED - 20" Wheels for 70's Ross Apollo 5-Speed

-

donellty

On Training Wheels
Hello all, new member here reviving a 70's console shift Ross Apollo 5-speed. Now I know this is not a sought after bike and was not a high end product to begin with but it has always appealed to me with the style of the ape's and I do not see any of them around my area. The final piece I am looking for to finish the light restoration is the 20" wheels, mine have bad spokes and I am thinking if I can source a set of wheels in decent shape it may be much easier than trying to re-spoke what I have.

Otherwise I will have to try and figure out where a set of spokes can be sourced that will fit these wheels I have.

I have a pretty good selection of Union, Torrington and a few other brands of spokes from the 1970 era.
Let me know of the sizes you need(if you go that route) and I can check for you.
rusty

I will have to measure them, I am honestly thinking that will be my only option. I believe they are 24 or 26 spoke wheels and are 20". What would you need from me to confirm? Need the spoke length measurement? If so, how precise are the measurements on spokes? 1/4", 1/2" or 1 inch intervals?

I have a pretty good selection of Union, Torrington and a few other brands of spokes from the 1970 era.
Let me know of the sizes you need(if you go that route) and I can check for you.
rusty
See above, forgot to hit reply. Thanks for the help!

Spokes come in 1/16" increments. You can use a slightly shorter or longer version, but it can get tricky.
There are also 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" nippels available as well.
It is a good idea to replace both when you do the conversion.

Spokes come in 1/16" increments. You can use a slightly shorter or longer version, but it can get tricky.
There are also 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" nippels available as well.
It is a good idea to replace both when you do the conversion.
Thanks for the info! Sorry new to this and diving into my own projects, simple but out of my comfort zone of experience.

Back