When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED: Amesbury-built bicycle

-

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks-

The town in which I live is next to Amesbury, MA. Amesbury is famous for its carriage trade which evolved into automobile body manufacturing. Prominent Amesbury automobile body manufacturers included Walker Body Company, Briggs Carriage Company, and Biddle and Smart. About the same time the automobile started gaining traction, Amesbury dipped its toe into bicycle production with a handful of manufacturers before the bubble would burst.

Next June, I've been asked to share my passion for bicycle history by setting up a display during the annual Amesbury Days event that highlights the first 150 years of the bicycle (from hobby horse through banana seats). My late father's collection features most of the bicycles I need to mark the timeline. With that said, I think it would be beneficial to have an Amesbury-built bicycle to share with the people of the town. Below is a list of bicycles and manufacturers courtesy of the Wheelmen site. I'm willing to buy any of these bicycles in any condition for the purposes of display and education.

BicycleStart YearEnd YearManufacturer /DistributorCityState
Amesbury18961896Amesbury Carriage CompanyAmesburyMA
Eastern18971897Eastern Cycle Manufacturing CompanyAmesburyMA
Essex18971897Eastern Cycle Manufacturing CompanyAmesburyMA
Flying Yankee18961897Eastern Cycle Manufacturing CompanyAmesburyMA
Great Eastern18971897Eastern Cycle Manufacturing CompanyAmesburyMA
Knights18981898George L. KnightsAmesburyMA
Laurel18961898S. D. Morrill & CompanyAmesburyMA
Powow18981898S. D. Morrill & CompanyAmesburyMA
zz ?18981898S. L. BartlettAmesburyMA

While finding one of these bicycles isn't essential, I think having one on hand would drive home Amesbury's connection to and place in the rich and storied history of American bicycle manufacturing. Hit me up with anything you might have. Thanks in advance.

-Lester

PS Here's a little Amesbury bicycle history if interested...

Lester, I don't have any bikes that old or rare but thought I'd say hi since we are neighbors. North Andover here. Good luck finding the right bike for your display!

I just figured I'd bump this request. While I've been able to purchase an Amesbury bicycle, it was originally owned by an Amesbury citizen of such prominence that I've decided to give it to the Amesbury Carriage Museum on loan so that the greater Amesbury community can more easily learn about their bicycle manufacturing history. So I'd love to find one for my own collection and purposes. Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks again!

-Lester

Back