When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted G&J Rambler crank bearing cups

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rambler

I live for the CABE
I am looking for two crank bearing cups for a G&J Rambler bicycle circa 1897. I expect a few years prior/post will likely use the same cups.

Strangely enough both cups are right hand threaded, it seems like one should be left hand thread but I guess Rambler did not start using left hand threads on crank bearing cups in 1897.

The crank bearing cups measure 1.4218 (1-27/64") on outside of the threaded area.
Threads per-inch aligns perfectly with 26TPI on a thread gauge.

I found this information on the internet:
Raleigh: 1 3/8" x 26 TPI and other brands like Rudge.
Chater Lea: 1.45" x 26 TPI another old British spec.

Both Raleigh and Chater Lea use the same 26TPI but neither seem to be correct for diameter.

If anyone else has dealt with this problem of replacing crank bearing cups on a Rambler bicycle, what did you use for replacements? Did you find a modern equivalent that worked if you could not find original cups?

If anyone has the proper cups or possibly a parts Rambler to sell please send me a PM.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Can't help with parts but do know 98 saw a design change from 97 in BB design. Not sure how early the 97 design goes back.

As far a thread direction, bear in mind bicycle design was in its infancy at this point and some ideas went to production that perhaps shouldn't have. I have a 96 Iver Johnson; right pedal has left hand threads and a lock nut, thankfully, although I found this out the hard way.

Last edited:
I am looking for two crank bearing cups for a G&J Rambler bicycle circa 1897. I expect a few years prior/post will likely use the same cups.

Strangely enough as far as I can tell both cups are right hand threaded which doesn't make sense to me because it seems like one should be left hand thread but maybe Rambler did not start using left hand threads on crank bearing cups in 1897.

The crank bearing cups measure 1.4218 (1-27/64") on outside of the threaded area.
Threads per-inch aligns perfectly with 26TPI on a thread gauge.

I found this information on the internet:
Raleigh: 1 3/8" x 26 TPI and other brands like Rudge.
Chater Lea: 1.45" x 26 TPI another old British spec.

Both Raleigh and Chater Lea use the same 26TPI but neither seem to be correct for diameter.

If anyone else has dealt with this problem of replacing crank bearing cups on a Rambler bicycle, what did you use for replacements? Did you find a modern equivalent that worked if you could not find original cups?

If anyone has the proper cups or possibly a parts Rambler to sell please send me a PM.
Thanks.

View attachment 1127962

View attachment 1127963

View attachment 1127964

View attachment 1127965

Did you ever get these, if not I have a set which way does the one on the sprocket come off counter or clock wise

Did you ever get these, if not I have a set which way does the one on the sprocket come off counter or clock wise
Yes I am interested, both cups are right hand thread and removed by turning counter-clockwise.

Back