When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted, High Loop Sissy Bar for 1965 Schwinn Stingray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There are 5 different types of Stingray sissy bars, #1 square back non crimped, #2 square back crimped, #3 high loop, #4 then the new style bar that is a bit more straight up on the loop, last is the new style with a more pronounced bend on the loop. Here is a pic of the last 2 styles with the latest and final style on the left. The difference is slight but they are different it is hard to tell when on a bike. I believe the last style started in 1969 but not exactly sure. The earlier new style can be mistaken for a high loop if you are not fimiliar with the actual high loop.

View attachment 2054228
Thank you, That would be very hard to notice

I was thinking 70 for the slider style sissybar/strut top bend change, since that's when the pans changed, but I think that's a piece of information that has been pushed from the memory banks and may not be accurate. There is another style crimp on the square back sissybars you forgot about, the short crimp vs long crimp. I originally thought the difference came about in a certain month in 64, but I was recently told it's the difference between factory installed strut and aftermarket accessory seat struts. There's another thread discussing all of that...just to keep from dirtying up this man's WTB thread. It's good to note here that certain month 64 Super Deluxe Stingrays also had a high loop sissybar(strut). There is also a 66 accessory strut that bolts onto the axle, it has the standard size loop like a slider sissybar/strut. So be aware of that when searching for a high loop.
I was aware of the 3 different square back struts and was not told that the long vs short crimps were aftermarket. I'd imagine from the first 63 ones with no crimp that there would be some experimentation and development needed to figure out which crimp would offer enough added strength for heavier riders. Did not know about the 66 accessory, but thank u... In the end, I think I'm gonna get a shiny new repop for the time being from @bicyclebones until a vintage one shows up :)

The slider bar would probably be correct for an MA, but that would involve verifying with complete original examples. I don't think the investment in desirable parts will make for a loss by putting them on the bike!

Back