When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Late '69 Pea Picker parts. Fenders, Derailleur etc. (FOUND)

-

Skunkrivercycles

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi all, first post on theCABE despite plenty of lurking in the past.

I am currently working on a refresh on a '69 Pea Picker, November 1969 production date. It's for a customer who just wants me to improve it where I can, but I have convinced him to AT LEAST leave the original tires, original paint, seat, etc. alone. The fenders however have been through the ringer, front one looks like it was shot at with a pellet gun about 100 times, and the rear has a hole where the corner of the slick somehow rubbed all the way through it.

The budget is realistic on this project, so I'm not coming looking for a $30 set of original fenders or anything, we will pay up for a good clean (as possible) pair. I'm not 100% clear on the intricacies of late '69 Krate fenders, so I'd be looking for an expert to tell me exactly which fenders would be needed. We are also looking for the correct rear derailleur, in good presentable shape. A clean, correct pair of the original narrow bars would also be something I'm after, as well as a good, clean, correct seat reflector.

If anybody has anything, or all of those things, I'd be very interested! Most of the other things I plan to replace are small parts, axle nuts, stem, etc and not Krate-specific.

Anyway, just seeing whats out there that somebody would want to sell. Thanks! Great forum!

Last edited:
I believe a late 1969 Pea Picker would still use the razor edge fenders with the two dimple from fenders. Originals might be hard to find, but the reproductions on eBay are very nice, and the correct style for the bike. I would go with those, they are reasonably priced and would be great for the bike.

Derailleurs are also on eBay, tons of Schwinn bicycle in 1969 used the Schwinn Approved Huret made rear derailleur. I would do a quick eBay search, find one that looks good and buy it. Search under Schwinn Varsity, that'll help find one off a clean 10-Speed.

Good luck with your project!

Post up some pictures before and after!
thanks again to you as well! Will do.

a quick "before" for now. Very clean original bike, but going to be even nicer when done. I personally would leave it as-is but it's been requested by the owner to make it as good as it can be.
id__a9f2ecfa-b0f2-4ff1-ac0c-bbd80b6cf8f2__d8802f51-aeef-4bf0-a78c-b382e005e926__IMG_4156.jpg

Back