When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found WANTED Please : wiring diagram for Seiss/Delta battery tube and Delta horn light with delta horn button on bars.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm trying to get some wiring info on running my Delta hornlight on a Silver King with a battery tube and horn button. Obviously there is a positive wire coming off the bulb end and one off the horn. I joined the wires from each initially and ran one wire out the bottom of the unit. Then I realized I want them to be working independently, so changed it to 2 wires coming out of the hornlight base ( pos bulb/pos horn). If they are grounded, they work. Is this correct? The battery tube will have 2 wires coming from it ( cap has 2 posts and a switch), and the horn button has 2 contacts as well. I wired one of these up over 25 years ago, and am getting "dimmer" with age. If you can help, great, as my request on the Cabe has been unanswered so far. Here's what I put on the CABE:

Wiring diagram for Silver King external ( not in bars or frame) battery tube and hornlight, button on bars
• Thread starterNashman
• Start date Monday at 11:07 AM
• TagsNone

Thanks, Bob

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting...
eyes open.gif

It should be pretty basic, but I have a Delta battery tube, tried a few variations and no go. I'm going to use cloth covered wire from the Delta button on bars after the Seiss tube arrives with that wire. ( it's just a mock up now using the Delta TUBE/CAP and plastic covered wire on bars) It's -25 F here today, so it's not like I'm going for a ride!!

P1010006 (4).JPG

P1010008 (3).JPG

P1010005.JPG
P1010006 (4).JPG

P1010008 (3).JPG

P1010005.JPG

$_57.jpg

Last edited:
The wire from the horn button goes to the hot side of the battery tube switch. Then it goes to the horn. IT will always have power. The wire from the light goes to the neutral side of the battery tube switch and goes positive only when you move the switch to "ON".

Cloth wire in the 1930's was much smaller in diameter than today's U/L approved wires, so they don't go through the holes very well

If you don’t have holes in your bars or truss rods you might want to use a different horn button so you don’t see wires strung along the bars. Picture 1
As previously stated the cloth wires are almost impossible to get through the bars and truss rods. I use 22 gauge wire. I run two wires from the battery tube through the conduit under the front fender, one goes to the light the other loops over the fender edge into the lower hole of the truss rod and up to the horn button. Then another wire from the other side of the horn button back down the truss rod under the fender to the horn. The only wire you see is coming out of the upper hole on the truss rod to the hole in the bars by the stem.
Here are some pictures.
1CEB2B80-BF50-48A6-B3F2-EB8B18595066.jpeg

7AC7D515-3A8D-4045-BEF6-18057A69C0C0.jpeg

13FB7525-8AB3-4DFF-A76E-58877378FBB3.jpeg

F9C2A5DC-E480-4680-8CC2-62A3BCF7995B.jpeg

2843A78B-CE08-4D3E-8C71-820F766C8255.jpeg

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/p...schematics-non-discussion-thread.70318/page-2

post #22 might help, there might be others, #22 is as far as I looked

This looks good, thanks. I posted it above with my pictures. This tells me there needs to ALSO be a ground wire from horn and light so a total of 4 wires coming from the hornlight?? (Previously I thought they would ground on frame as when the single live+ wires are attached from hornlight to pos., grounding makes them work)

Now the Delta cap has 2 terminals ( one tab?). One tall, one shorter, both with set screws/terminals. Not sure what the other threaded hole. tab is for? This is where my confusion lays. I don't see a clear indication of what wires attach to what in Delta cap in the illustration. At a glance, I'd say the 2 wires from lamp ( pos and neg)attach to 2 separate terminals ( pos and neg) on Delta cap. Then the pos from horn goes to pos in Delta cap. Neg from horn goes to one side/neg of horn button. Wire ( pos) from horn button goes to pos on Delta cap. That's 3 wires on pos term on Delta cap ( pos light, pos horn,pos button) and only 1 wire on negative post on Delta cap from the lamp.

P1010008 (3).JPG

If you don’t have holes in your bars or truss rods you might want to use a different horn button so you don’t see wires strung along the bars. Picture 1
As previously stated the cloth wires are almost impossible to get through the bars and truss rods. I use 22 gauge wire. I run two wires from the battery tube through the conduit under the front fender, one goes to the light the other loops over the fender edge into the lower hole of the truss rod and up to the horn button. Then another wire from the other side of the horn button back down the truss rod under the fender to the horn. The only wire you see is coming out of the upper hole on the truss rod to the hole in the bars by the stem.
Here are some pictures.
View attachment 940516

View attachment 940519

View attachment 940520

View attachment 940521

View attachment 940522

Thanks Glenn!!

The system Glenn describes above sounds like pos on cap/battery can/tall terminal?/battery pos? goes to/joins pos wire coming from light., the other wire from cap/battery can neg? goes to neg on horn button, then pos from horn and button join together. 3 wires in total, frame is ground? This seems FAR simpler than the diagram illustrated by Delta and described above. The Delta cap has 2 terminals. One tall, one short. Which is pos?/neg?

The taller more center terminal is hot all the time it is in direct contact with the top of the battery, the shorter terminal is only hot when the switch is turned on.
The ground is the battery tube. The spring in the bottom of the tube makes contact with the negative side of the battery. If you use a metal conduit from the battery tube to the fender you don’t have to use a ground wire. The felt strips under the battery tube clamps keep the tube from grounding tothe bike so if you are just running wires to your light with no conduit you will need a ground wire also. This delta battery top has a place for a ground.
So your horn wire is going to the tall terminal from there to the horn button and then to the horn in the light. The shorter terminal goes directly to the light.
2DAAE472-855E-4964-8719-9C05E2311F71.jpeg

Back