When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Prewar Schwinn deluxe headset cones

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
Wanted: Prewar Schwinn deluxe headset cones. These are pretty shot.

fMjvIaG.jpg

Goes with this type headset. If there should be a keyed washer, then I need that too. I am not sure if one was used with the spring fork.

ln8SL1P.jpg

Both cones are a little under 36mm at the outer edge. This does not use an oversize crown race and lower bearing like the postwar set does.

2roI1Ap.jpg

I suspect the postwar deluxe upper cone would work, but I am not sure.

Bump. Still need these.

Bought some cones on ebay on a maybe.

The upper one is a replacement for the postwar part and IMHO it is probably not Schwinn quality, but at least it does fit the prewar headset.

The crown race I bought has the right basic dimensions, looks correct, and fits up inside the cup (unlike a postwar crown race). Unfortunately it does not contact the bearings on the race area and won't work.

Has anyone at least got a decent prewar Schwinn crown race?

Still want both parts, but could at least put it together if I had the crown race.

HAVE YOU TRIED OTHER SIZE BEARINGS AND CAGES THAT WILL FIT THE DELUXE CROWN CUP AND RECESSED CONES?
THE DELUXE CROWN FITS OVER A CONE RECESSED INTO THE HEAD TUBE.

Hi Wes,

Both cones are bad.

The one recessed in the headtube is close enough to the postwar part that a postwar cone will interchange. I have bought a NORS postwar one on ebay and it fits, but I don't think it is a real Schwinn part as the quality is lousy. The bearing surface is not smooth like a real Schwinn part. I can use it in a pinch, and probably will since nothing is turning up.

At the bottom of the headtube, postwar parts are completely different and larger. A postwar deluxe crown race will not even physically fit in a prewar deluxe lower cup. I bought a crown race on ebay that was allegedly a Schwinn part, and probably really is. It looks nice. His ad had a part number, but it had no matches here on the CABE or on Google.

The seller made no claim that this crown race would fit my application, but it sure looked like it would, and now that I have it in my hand, holding it next to the broken 1941 crown race, it STILL looks correct, but it doesn't quite fit. The cone area is ever so slightly too large of a diameter to engage the bearings. The balls in the 1941 retainer are tiny, and I doubt anything smaller would fit and work.

Back