When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Shop To Repaint My Schwinn Hornet

-

belkerx3

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've got a 1953 hornet that I want painted. Looking for a shop that can do a quality paint restoration. I can ship so location is not important. I just want it done right.

image.jpeg

I've got a 1953 hornet that I want painted. Looking for a shop that can do a quality paint restoration. I can ship so location is not important. I just want it done right.

View attachment 987914
I hadn't noticed before that 1953 and prob 54 too, has quite a range of color choices: From the new Opalescent to other options and their standard red, green blue and likely black as well,. Color options are not mentioned in the Hornet section of the Catalog but their photo is Opalescent Green. And if you check through the catalog none of their bikes show color options except the panther; "Your choice of several modern two-tone color combinations." Yet, there's quite a verity of colors and different light medium and dark shades in all the models. When you couple the possibilities with the Opals when re-painting/Restoring in this period, the realization of that thar is pretty danged cool!

There's another option in 53 not shown in the catalog, Schwinn had a D-19 and 22 contest IDK was it 1951 or 52 when actually produced for general distribution: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-reporter-march-1951-volume-1-no-2.160563/? But, electing the name of Hornet and the reporter said a new decal was added.

U can tell in 53's catalog, the 24" Junior model some kind of decal, but, yet otherwise it's not represented until a redesigned decal appears later.

I mean like wow, your bike surely has such multiples, I mean I don't think picking extremes of rarity, albeit it's your yet, bike, with Cream as secondary color, could be pretty exciting. Those Opal colors are candy, tough to match too, but some have gotten it so close, too what appears to be, a dead on nail in the threads here.

Last thing is pin striping matching accuracy of Schwinn's that sticks our yet when all appears "right" more often than not is usually on the chain guard. The little 45 degree tips appear to be made with thin brush and carefully laid flat by trained production craft persons. I don't get out as much as others nor know of who can get it right but, with an eye for fine detail it seems, the general public, miss it. So, if you want it "Right" hard, baked enamel or excellent auto paint that's not going chip like many do. and having eyes for detail is mandatory on your end, upon hiring a painter, to do it.

https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1953.html#hornet-boys-26

1953_schwinn_hornet_boys.jpg

Last edited:
I must be friggen just plain mean er somtin. I mean your bike looks great now, However, it's got to be said. IDK but for the sake of those who chunk some good change on so-called professional repaint jobs. And more importantly: prominence. That is, now it's got a whole new life, back from the dead or 'The walking dead' it should be nice enough to be around in fine condition long after you're gone. . And like the majority of collectibles passed on or sold, ignorance comes into play. Example; In my case, the wife's remark is always; "When you sell it [whatever collectible] for the $$$ ya claim it's worth,then I'll like it!" Or my grown up kids, couldn't GAS. I.E. if I had a fake they wouldn't know. Or when hunting for collectibles, how many times do ya see sales advertising where family, wife, kids grandchildren etc. site: " Don't try and cheat or fool me! This is My 'so and so's' 90 billion year old relative's who had this as a kid"?

Can not see tank well enough to be so sure if or not correct, except the white looks to bright on everything. Otherwise All of the pin-stripes are wrong, too thick on fenders and the common fault where they are not curving at the tips approaching the front and rear curved diamond pattern. Moreover, that flaw is how and why it's easy to spot Wald's look-a-like reproduction replacement 'for Schwinn' fenders. Except Wald's aren't so thick like yours, , tons of collectors and paint jobs miss the curve Wald didn't do, and probably due to Schwinn's copyright or pattern protection. . I mean even here where seller knows, B/C I PM-ed him about 2 weeks ago, duhh, either repaint or touch up on frame and Unlike yours, fenders are Wald and meant for middleweight replacements too. . Yet 'original' claim remains in sales pitch? I mean, it a tricky tell as you can see: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1952-schwin-wasp-26in-heavy-duty-high-flange-s-2-wheels.164017/ And but, another easy tell, Wald always has their fender bracket at the point of the fender's edge, again unlike yours, the flat area in Wald is way to long but your painter moreover, replicated Wald's pin-stripe trick

And ya no right? There's no such thing as a 1953 Deluxe Hornet. https://bikehistory.org/bikes/deluxe-hornet/ By catalogs there's a 55 an since new builds for next year begin as early as spring for fall and xmas sales, of 55 issues, Schwinn's Deluxe Hornet can have 54 serial numbers, but not 53. Needless to say, and not knick-picking though should be said, chain guard also wrong right? So, it's also a Fantasy bike. Which does not appear to be "Looking for a shop that can do a quality paint restoration" your original goal.

Regardless, none of this means your bike is crap B/C it's NOT! Even if it was a perfect restoration, provenance remains as a responsibility even >> liability for as long as it , in the least; rolls at most, exists as a 'collectible' Not to leave out spiritual aspects too, 'Karma' Wherein I aint zactly religious but I can site times, dumb A events or stupid typical teen age crime, in my teens, 10 year later, if Karma does actually exist, Identical events to the tee! Unreal complete Déjà vu , but reverse: I'm the victim>> and as each second passed, what was long forgotten became an absolute, every single tiny detail, (No wasn't delusion, dream drugs drink ,drunk nor altered in anyway) flash-back reality , but it was me this time!, (WTF?? !!) That'll make ya wonder. I. E. I don't ignore the possibility right? [grin] But, it's a ten time you money Btch from hell! [grin]

So, your bike is great now. You should be proud riding it. Like spring fresh, in the air of it all.

And if any preaching, nick-picking, long winded, anal or A-hole like me or worse >> the bully and so-called know-it-all type who's goal, especially in a group or family an friends, is to demean ya. U can say" Duh I know ya dope." And for bully: "Duh A-hole, I'm not riding or showing/offering for sale but pleasure. Never said it's not a fantasy, and, for that; there's no rule or reason to regulate a need to disclose too! Don't F wit my pleasure, T U berry much: "Get a life butt-head!" > Or any other retort designed to demean an A,,s wipe bully type. [grin..

Last edited:
I must be friggen just plain mean er somtin. I mean your bike looks great now, However, it's got to be said. IDK but for the sake of those who chunk some good change on so-called professional repaint jobs. And more importantly: prominence. That is, now it's got a whole new life, back from the dead or 'The walking dead' it should be nice enough to be around in fine condition long after you're gone. . And like the majority of collectibles passed on or sold, ignorance comes into play. Example; In my case, the wife's remark is always; "When you sell it [whatever collectible] for the $$$ ya claim it's worth,then I'll like it!" Or my grown up kids, couldn't GAS. I.E. if I had a fake they wouldn't know. Or when hunting for collectibles, how many times do ya see sales advertising where family, wife, kids grandchildren etc. site: " Don't try and cheat or fool me! This is My 'so and so's' 90 billion year old relative's who had this as a kid"?

Can not see tank well enough to be so sure if or not correct, except the white looks to bright on everything. Otherwise All of the pin-stripes are wrong, too thick on fenders and the common fault where they are not curving at the tips approaching the front and rear curved diamond pattern. Moreover, that flaw is how and why it's easy to spot Wald's look-a-like reproduction replacement 'for Schwinn' fenders. Except Wald's aren't so thick like yours, , tons of collectors and paint jobs miss the curve Wald didn't do, and probably due to Schwinn's copyright or pattern protection. . I mean even here where seller knows, B/C I PM-ed him about 2 weeks ago, duhh, either repaint or touch up on frame and Unlike yours, fenders are Wald and meant for middleweight replacements too. . Yet 'original' claim remains in sales pitch? I mean, it a tricky tell as you can see: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1952-schwin-wasp-26in-heavy-duty-high-flange-s-2-wheels.164017/ And but, another easy tell, Wald always has their fender bracket at the point of the fender's edge, again unlike yours, the flat area in Wald is way to long but your painter moreover, replicated Wald's pin-stripe trick

And ya no right? There's no such thing as a 1953 Deluxe Hornet. https://bikehistory.org/bikes/deluxe-hornet/ By catalogs there's a 55 an since new builds for next year begin as early as spring for fall and xmas sales, of 55 issues, Schwinn's Deluxe Hornet can have 54 serial numbers, but not 53. Needless to say, and not knick-picking though should be said, chain guard also wrong right? So, it's also a Fantasy bike. Which does not appear to be "Looking for a shop that can do a quality paint restoration" your original goal.

Regardless, none of this means your bike is crap B/C it's NOT! Even if it was a perfect restoration, provenance remains as a responsibility even >> liability for as long as it , in the least; rolls at most, exists as a 'collectible' Not to leave out spiritual aspects too, 'Karma' Wherein I aint zactly religious but I can site times, dumb A events or stupid typical teen age crime, in my teens, 10 year later, if Karma does actually exist, Identical events to the tee! Unreal complete Déjà vu , but reverse: I'm the victim>> and as each second passed, what was long forgotten became an absolute, every single tiny detail, (No wasn't delusion, dream drugs drink ,drunk nor altered in anyway) flash-back reality , but it was me this time!, (WTF?? !!) That'll make ya wonder. I. E. I don't ignore the possibility right? [grin] But, it's a ten time you money Btch from hell! [grin]

So, your bike is great now. You should be proud riding it. Like spring fresh, in the air of it all.

And if any preaching, nick-picking, long winded, anal or A-hole like me or worse >> the bully and so-called know-it-all type who's goal, especially in a group or family an friends, is to demean ya. U can say" Duh I know ya dope." And for bully: "Duh A-hole, I'm not riding or showing/offering for sale but pleasure. Never said it's not a fantasy, and, for that; there's no rule or reason to regulate a need to disclose too! Don't F wit my pleasure, T U berry much: "Get a life butt-head!" > Or any other retort designed to demean an A,,s wipe bully type. [grin..
Interesting comment regarding a bike that was never intended to be passed as a 100 point concours restoration.
Don't worry about it being sold one day as something it isn't. This was my dads childhood bike and I am passing it down to my granddaughter who is currently 6 years old. It will be a lot of years before it hits the for sale market.
My intentions are to write up the history and build information and put that paper inside the horn tank so she will always know the fenders and wheels are off of her great aunts '49 Starlet and the headlight and pedals are reproduction.
The paint isn't perfect. All of us collectors know that. But I literally could not find anyone who would paint it. I just wanted it painted. I didn't really care about the details. Not many other people will either. Currently the bike is in my spare bedroom with a sheet over it and will likely remain that way for years.
So I guess I appreciate the feedback even though my intentions were just to show a bike paint job. Nothing more.
Maybe I should have left it in its original condition.

image.jpeg

Back