When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Well equipped, super rough but complete Schwinn Stingray, Krate, or Manta Ray

-

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Pretty much what the title says. I'm looking for a Stingray / Manta Ray / etc. with original paint that needs tons of work to clean up but that has pretty much all of the parts.

The frame needs to be straight, and without any bends, cracks, etc. While rust is okay, it cannot be to the point of causing structural issues.. The bike needs to be well-equipped - preferably with a front drum brake, though I know how expensive those can be - definitely not just a single speed coaster brake bike.

I'm assuming that for any bike at this price point, I will need to buy tires and material to cover the seat. I'm willing to accept missing parts if they are common ones, obtainable across a wide range of period Schwinn bicycles.

A Manta Ray might be especially attractive due to the size, but I'm not sure where I sit on the whole aesthetics vs. function situation. This is definitely a bike that I am going to ride.

A perfect example of what I am looking for is the orange Krate recently acquired by prewarmachine.
20200903_055912-jpg.jpg

Concise version of this list:
  • Well-equipped
  • Complete or completeish.
  • Straight and without any broken / cracked welds / other structural issues.
  • Original paint
  • Priced like a project in this condition.

What sort of price point are you trying to stay within? I have 25 krates and all are in different conditions.

Back