When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War time oddities - What kinda sprocket?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
He He!!!

The Sprocket IS COLUMBIA!!!;)

The front hub is Eclipse or Morrow I have not been able to find marking on those BUT there is a slight chance.. maybe a Musselman I have a few but not black...:D

J A M I E

Hmmmm Thanks!

Interesting to know about the Sterling headbadge being under the Columbia umbrella. I am efforting a picture of what is left of the bike and if/when i get it I will post it.

If anyone else has any ideas or can contribute pictures that would be helpful.

Thanks, Joe

The front hub with the square shoulders is a Musselman, compare it with an Elgin air-cooled hub. Sterling is one of the pre 1900 independents that was absorbed into the Pope-Columbia-Westfield conglomerate and later used as a badge name on Westfield built bicycles during the balloon years.

Phil

i have two columbias with steerling badges, one has a mussleman hub and one with a ND, one is war time and the other is prewar. They both have the chainring you have.

the ccm sprockets ive see on steves site(check oldy57's posts) although i didnt see any skiplinks though.........i might be able to dig up a skippy picture though...if i do ill post it(or the link)

Sterling was one of Westfield's badges, they also reused the name for a late 60s Columbia middleweight. When I first saw that sprocket, I thought Westfield. And they used their own unstamped front hubs, which may explain that front. I have a Monark-built J & R Flyer w/those black ND hubs, front and rear. It appears to be an early postwar bike. Also got a pair of lightweight rims, tan w/a red pinstripe, and 26 x 1 3/8" davis deluxe tires with those same hubs. Don't know what they were from, possibly Elgin. ~Adam

Back