When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Time Schwinn New World with '42 coded Morrow Hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Very early New Worlds have backward facing rear forks and flat braces. New World "racer" variant also backward facing rear forks.

After flat braces came the wire braces to the axles.

After the war came the stamped braces with dedicated rear mount on the frame. Nice wartime bike.

Yes that's what it looks like to me too. And as @GTs58 and others have noted, the New World was kind of a platform that you could add parts from the Paramount or Superior lines to, so you may see some non-stock parts on production bikes.

The hard part is figuring out what happened during the war years. My prewar 41 has the seamless BB and wire stays. After the war was clearly flat braces (again) and EF BB. How do you tell a 42 from a 43 from a 44?? Maybe you never can if you didn't buy the bike in 4? yourself.

@3-speeder 's bike has black out parts, an EF BB and a hub that has parts dated to 42. But maybe the hub mfg had to limit production too and was still using these parts for hubs destined for 43 or 44 Schwinn New Worlds. Did the EF BB start in 42 along with flat braces to the axle?

Did anyone else notice that the axle mounts on 3-speeders bike look like separate pieces from the stays, and not at all like the ones on @Kickstand3 's 42?? Like it's an add on idea or link between two styles.
1556410535876.png

I'm not as versed in war time Schwinn nit picking as a lot of you guys, so this could be a common thing I just don't know about...

Gott be war time right? But what year? Probably doesn't matter really. Just being war time is close.

Last edited:
1939 Catalog is even more "cartoony" so it's hard to tell but the New World Tourist flat rear mudguard braces seem to meet into one piece before attaching to the axle.
1939 Catalog b03.jpg

1940 Catalog Tourist has wire stays:
1940_schwinn_w3mfc New World Mens Sport Tourist.jpg

1941 Catalog World Tourist has wire stays:
1941 Schwinn New World Catalog Page.jpg

1941 (actually 1939 see below) Catalog World 3 speed as flat bar stays that meet before the axle on a separate piece.
1941_03.jpg

1945 World has the same bar stays and joining piece at rear axle as the 41 (really 39!!) 3 speed above.
1945-Schwinn-New-World.jpg

1942? Catalog Tourist has wire stays:
1942 photo13 Classic Rondezvous.jpg

Is 3-speeder's war time bike, with it's single blacked out flat bar stay on the rear mudguard, and 2 piece flat bar stay on the front guard odd?

Last edited:
Could have been ordered that way, could be a parts clean-up bike. In the war era, I suspect a "parts clean-up" bike where factory used up whatever parts were left over.

But the 1942-45 period produced parts "clean-up" type New Worlds - bikes with all sorts of mixed parts, some painted and some plated. Schwinn didn't let parts go to waste, so you find mixmaster bikes from those years.

You're correct that the pre-war wire stays are fragile - where they stress and break is right on that center line where the mounting rivet goes. The wires have a really clean, pre-war look but the early flats and the later stamped braces are more robust.

It's a nice war era bike. Be careful about what looks like a crack that has formed in the drive side seat stay to seat tube joint. Check for integrity before riding.

1556421833192.png

Last edited:
This can't be a 41 model. Doesn't have the rear drop out so it's pre 40. ;)

Last edited:
Ok but the Waterford scans of the 41 catalog show it on page 3. ?? Waterford. Is it confusing yet? o_O

Last edited:
Ok but the Waterford scans of the 41 catalog show it on page 3. ?? Waterford. Is it confusing yet? o_O

If it wasn't confusing enough, Waterford is messing with history! Someone should notify them about their error. Now there is two sites leading people to the wrong bowl of Kool Aid.
Rear facing forks were last seen on the 39 models and they should know that! lol Tom has it correct and Waterford messed it up.
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/index.html

If it wasn't confusing enough, Waterford is messing with history! Someone should notify them about their error. Now there is two sites leading people to the wrong bowl of Kool Aid.
Rear facing forks were last seen on the 39 models and they should know that! lol Tom has it correct and Waterford messed it up.
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/index.html

@GTs58 Thank you for correcting this (at least with me :)) Those red colored catalog pages are from 1939 NOT 41!

@bikepaulie ‘s World is great! Love the handle bars and grips!! Other than that it looks very similar to my 41. With wire stays and the same front sprocket. Thanks for adding it. @GTs58

Back