When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Time Schwinn New World with '42 coded Morrow Hub

-
@crazyhawk Are there any blackout parts on your I serial bike?

I looked all over the diamond pattern goodyear tire that was on my 41 bike when I received it. Despite having the same tread pattern, it does not have the War Tire plaque molded into the sidewall like yours. Interesting.View attachment 989307

Your I serial bike has 1942 Wartime clues, in my pipe dreams. Puff Puff...
See attached photos of non-clincher 28" war tire. This did not come from either of the Schwinn's that I posted on this thread. Anyone interested in this tire (it's in pretty good shape, still pliable but doesn't hold air) can have it for the price of postage. Shipbikes says about $22.00. Make a nice display piece.
IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

If it's rusted there or dirty, brush away the rust or dirt and look it over with a flashlight. Even if it is cracked, the joint may be passable, if the crack doesn't spread or open up.

The stuff that's especially deadly are the cracks or breaks at the front of the frame and in the fork (a collapsing fork buys the rider a broken collarbone or shoulder usually).
I brushed out any dust with a nylon brush and then inspected that joint thoroughly with a bright light and magnifying glass and it looks to be solid. A good reminder to me to add joint inspection to my pre-buying list.

Reactions: Miq
Glad to hear it is looking rideable @3-speeder. I’m getting psyched to see what you do next to it. Hoping you’re considering keeping the OG blackout stuff / mixmaster parts. It’s pretty unique.

Excited to see you take it where ever really. It will be a cool solid bike.
I decided to keep the blackout single speed hub and og wheels in place. Couldn't hang em from the rafters. They're just too much a part of this bike. Thought I heard em say "ride me" when I was looking at the bike last night.

In regards to my "I" serial number New World, there are no black-out parts on it. I'm feeling like mine was made in the months after Dec. 7, 1941. Goodyear Tire and Rubber may have been quicker to respond to the war effort than New Departure or Schwinn, or ND just had more stock built up. Who knows, but that may be why mine has war tires but still has chrome parts. And by the way, I think these bikes are so underrated. I love the way the thin, elegant front forks have a nice big curve , kicking the front tire farther forward. They have such a beautiful yet subtle look that I just love. Had to take it for a spin today. You guys got me all psyched....
IMG_20190430_165440.jpg

IMG_20190430_165450.jpg

@crazyhawk Nice pics! Thanks for the BLK OUT info. I'm thinking your early 42 feelings are right. Puff, puff...

Miq's 1941 - H Serial - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - No Black Out Parts - No War Tires
crazyhawk's 1942? - I Serial - Wire Braces - NOT EFBB - No Black Out Parts - "War Tire" marked Tires
mickeyc's 1942-44? - J Serials -Wire Braces - EFBB - Lots of Black Out Parts
3-speeder's 1942-44? - K Serials - Bar Braces - EFBB - Lots of Black Out parts - Mixmaster bike - Q4 of 1942 Morrow Date Codes

@crazyhawk Thanks! That's some more of the pieces. I'm going to say 1942 with the I serial number. Your bike was made somewhere between my 1941 H numbered bike and @mickeyc 's J numbered bikes and @3-speeder 's K numbered bike.

Miq's 1941 - H Serial - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB
crazyhawk's 1942? - I Serial - Wire Braces - NOT EFBB
mickeyc's 1942-44? - J Serials -Wire Braces - EFBB
3-speeder's 1942-44? - K Serials - Bar Braces - EFBB - Q4 of 1942 Morrow Date Codes - Tons of Black Out parts Mixmaster bike

@GTs58 IMHO it looks like the EF BB on the Worlds started between I and J (42-43) assuming Schwinn followed the convention of flipping to the next letter each year. I realize that when production was high they used multiple letters each year, but with production restricted 42-22, they may have only changed 1 letter each year to note the year change.

no proof

Here's an I serial with a higher number than crazyhawk's and it has an EF BB.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pre-war-or-war-time-schwinn-new-world.31530/#post-167930

1556766074614.png

Last edited:
Here is a very interesting thread. Early J serial number and there was a whole lot of EFing going on! Actual head tube was not tubing, it was stamped, rolled and then EF. The top and bottom tubes were EF to the head tube and the OP says the seat tube was EF to the BB shell. Schwinn was really getting into it at this time! @3-speeder should check out his frame build.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-help-i-d-ing-frame-and-fork.36952/#post-201720

View attachment 990225
Interesting. I'll have to look into this when I return home from my bird watching trips in a few weeks. Migration season is underway and I'll be traveling around Michigan and Ohio to enjoy my other favorite hobby.

See attached photos of non-clincher 28" war tire. This did not come from either of the Schwinn's that I posted on this thread. Anyone interested in this tire (it's in pretty good shape, still pliable but doesn't hold air) can have it for the price of postage. Shipbikes says about $22.00. Make a nice display piece.
View attachment 989451

View attachment 989452

View attachment 989453

View attachment 989454

View attachment 989455
If this is a Single Tube....................I'll take it .

Back