When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Time Schwinn New World with '42 coded Morrow Hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@GTs58 This is great! It looks like we are down to the change from NOT EF BB to EF BB happening inside the I serial bikes. Also interesting, in that cptnhwdy69 I serial thread, is that he mentions the wire stays being blackout. That’s the earliest serial with a mention of blkout parts being used.

The early J serial Capt Nemo bike has blackout cranks.

I’m adding the 1940 F Serial bike from @Iverider ’s thread here: F Serial

Here’s the latest table:

bikepaulie’s 1939 - ?????? - Wire Braces - Braced Handlebars
Iverider’s 1940 - F52702 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - Little Arm ND Brake Lever
Miq's 1941 - H69537 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - No Black Out Parts - No War Tires
crazyhawk's 1942? - I23545 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - No Black Out Parts - "War Tire" marked Tires
cptnhwdy69’s 1942? - I35788 - Blkout Wire Braces - EF BB
Capt Nemo’s 1942-44? - J09514 - EF BB (EF Galore) - Blkout Cranks
mickeyc's 1942-44? - J12476 - Wire Braces - EF BB - Lots of Black Out Parts
3-speeder's 1942-44? - K57044 - Bar Braces (1 Rear) - EF BB - Lots of Black Out parts - Mixmaster bike - Q4 of 1942 Morrow Date Codes

Puff, puff...

Last edited:
It may be interesting to add rear fork/dropout to your list. BikePaulie's also has the early type rear forks. It would be interesting to see how long it took to go the more regular rear dropouts. I suspect the old-style rear forks did not last long, but it would be interesting to see how far into the serial range it got.

@SirMike1983 Easy enough to add. The change from the early type rear fork to the rear dropouts appears to happen somewhere between bikepaulie's 1939 and Iverider's 1940. Hopefully we can collect more serial number info on bikes around this transition...

bikepaulie’s 1939 - ?????? - Wire Braces - Braced Handlebars - Early Rear Fork
Iverider’s 1940 - F52702 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - Little Arm ND Brake Lever - Rear Dropouts
Miq's 1941 - H69537 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - No Black Out Parts - No War Tires - Rear Dropouts
crazyhawk's 1942? - I23545 - Wire Braces - NOT EF BB - No Black Out Parts - "War Tire" marked Tires - Rear Dropouts
cptnhwdy69’s 1942? - I35788 - Blkout Wire Braces - EF BB - Rear Dropouts
Capt Nemo’s 1942-44? - J09514 - EF BB (EF Galore) - Blkout Cranks - Rear Dropouts
mickeyc's 1942-44? - J12476 - Wire Braces - EF BB - Lots of Black Out Parts - Rear Dropouts
3-speeder's 1942-44? - K57044 - Bar Braces (1 Rear) - EF BB - Lots of Black Out parts - Rear Dropouts - Mixmaster bike - Q4 of 1942 Morrow Date Codes

Last edited:
Nice write up about Schwinn war time lightweight victory bikes by @HUFFMANBILL Here

In the early part of WWII from approximately July 1942 after the OPA ( Office of Price Adm.) lifted the 3 month freeze on bike sales( April-June 1942), Schwinn produced a number of '' Victory'' lightweight bikes. The manufacture of these bikes of course followed the OPA bike manufacture regulations, to conserve metal for Military use. These schwinns may have only been in production for a few months, because in Sept., it is my understanding that all bicycle produced and sold had to be Columbia/Huffman made. Whether this lasted the remainder of the war I am unable to say. The point here is that Schwinn did make bikes during WWII. Most of these were used by civilians involved in war effort work to save gas in getting to those jobs. Most likely, but I cannot prove it a number of these Schwinn ''Victory'' bikes found their way onto military installations. In my collection of WWII US Military and civilian defense ''Victory'' bikes are four Schwinn ''Victory'' models, which I personally love . Why did Schwinn not receive a government contract for Military bikes? I do not know. Their history of proven high quality bikes would make one think that they would have been pressed by the government for them. I guess the powers to be had other plans for wartime production at Schwinn, which they did win the Excellence award for. Maybe they submitted a plan and quote for Military bikes that was too high in cost . Who knows?

Regards,
Bill

Oops, I missed something. Again, sorry for the bad
IMG_20190504_065821.jpg

photography, but I just noticed that my I123545 NW does in fact have blackout wire braces to go along with the war tires. Just want to be as accurate as possible for you guys that are working so hard to sort this out. I think this thread is going to be very useful to a lot of people in the future!

@crazyhawk Thanks for adding more to the puzzle! I think it's time to break this out into it's own thread and see if we can get a wider audience to participate.

@GTs58 Thank you for following me to yet another thread on wartime Schwinns. You're help and insight have propelled this learning.

@SirMike1983 please join me for this next thread on victory New Worlds, your experience with these bikes is deep. Thanks for adding so much.

@mickeyc Thanks for adding your bikes to the mix. Even crusty bikes hold clues.

@3-speeder Thanks for letting us combine this insanity with your original thread on your very unique New World. You have been quite nice about it and even helped facilitate a tire sale, :p Have safe travels birding.

New thread: Tell Us About Them

Miq

Last edited:
This has been very interesting to me. I'm really jazed about the new thread you started @Miq. Thanks for the well wishes on my trips. Appreciate ya

Reactions: Miq
Apparently Schwinn and Columbia used the same people to pinstripe their Wartime bikes, lol! This is my all original girls Columbia.

P1010001.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010017.JPG

Mickey's war era New Worlds were J serials. Here's a pic of the EF BB to add to the thread.View attachment 987395

The remaining front guards on these bikes had wire stays.
View attachment 987396
In the last week I bought the remains of a 1942 New World on Ebay. It might be a few weeks before I get fully documented and then I will start a separate thread. But it is serial number J99657, had both mud guards (fenders) and they look similar to the above.
Also, my bike has the vertical head badge holes, so likely is a BF Goodrich badged originally, like Miq's Gramp's bike.
The bike has the Ashtabula type crank and is likely fusion welded at the joints. Not original paint and I feel it was probably sanded prior to repainting. The undersides of the fenders ARE red, but that might be primer.

Back