When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wards Hawthorne Coaster Brake advice

-
Wow Balloonoob those parts look rough. Hope you got it all sorted out.

GRANDPAS_RIDE, if you get grease on the discs, they will (in my opinion anyway) drag too much. In the 70s I ran marvel mystery oil in these, and just tore them down a lot to relubricate. I don't really recommend that now.

Not long ago I redid my 41 Schwinn and I packed the bearings with synthetic grease and oiled up the discs with the lightest synthetic motor oil the auto parts store had. It works great and spins like crazy. The Schwinn has bronze discs in it like Baloonoob's picture except not shot.

I am working on a Korean war era Huffy now, and it has steel discs in it. I did the same thing. It is making a bunch of noise it shouldn't, so I am hesitant to recommend that if you have steel discs, at least until I figure out what is wrong.

Grandpasride--I'd be glad to send you one. Send me a private message with your address and I'll drop one into a regular envelope--no problem. I'm not sure about the rules --newish members might not be able to send private messages. I will P.M. you
To everyone that assisted me over the last couple months. I truly appreciate all the help I received

A big shout out to All Riders who sent me the lock nut for the hub. Without that I’d have been dead in the water.

Here are a few photos of the completed bike.

thanks again for your generous assistance.

GRANDPAS_RIDE

3BB0FA14-3962-4FB0-B519-0765D393EF2F.jpeg

D0C6AFED-C4C2-47DF-9FE2-3E09FDE5C2E0.jpeg

53B04888-9AB3-4AD5-9801-B91AAEE7C895.jpeg

241D2D2C-5D41-4BD6-9896-74B98B216836.jpeg

Back