When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wards Hawthorne Flyer - advice wanted

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rambler

I live for the CABE
I have a 28" metal clad wood wheel Wards Hawthorne Flyer with stainless steel fenders.

I would like to know what year? I'm guessing 1920's but does anyone have an advertisement or catalog page to help more precisely date it?

I would like to remove the orange paint. Some CABE members recommend oven cleaner and others Goof-Off. What should I try first? What product will do the least amount of damage to the original burgundy paint underneath this hideous orange?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.

IMGP4886.JPG
IMGP4896.JPG
IMGP4895.JPG
IMGP4892.JPG
IMGP4891.JPG
IMGP4890.JPG
IMGP4889.JPG
IMGP4888.JPG
IMGP4887.JPG
IMGP4897.JPG

Interesting that it has stainless fenders on 28's usually the 26in had them. It seems to me that stainless came on around 33 or 34. That was the close to the end of 28's by then. I think yours is around 33 or 34.

No doubt they are 28" I double checked just to be absolutely sure but tires do say 28x1-1/2 on the sides. I didn't realize that stainless fenders didn't come out until 1930's so that makes it a bit later than I originally guessed.

Interesting that it has stainless fenders on 28's usually the 26in had them. It seems to me that stainless came on around 33 or 34. That was the close to the end of 28's by then. I think yours is around 33 or 34.

Can anyone please point me toward a previous post about removing paint but preserving the original paint underneath. I think I read somewhere about using oven cleaner and/or goof-off but I would like a bit more information of how much, how long, etc that worked best for someone. Thanks

I personally used oven cleaner to remove spray paint jobs,
some people use the graffiti remover or good off.
I used the cheap 99 cent store oven cleaner by Rinso.
First have a bucket of water by your side a few towels and maybe medium to light steel wool.

first note that if there is any pinstripes- be careful around these areas leave them for last. I noticed the goof off and the grafitti paint removed removed pinstripes, so beware

What I did is spray the oven cleaner then waited about 30 sec, then lightly tried some steel wool rubbing, lightly to see if the spray paint is softening.
have a wet rag ready, once you soft scrub the paint area wash it down with the wet rag.

try to be light in the area near the neck because the two tone paint will lift with oven cleaner.

What your basically trying to do is soften the top layer of spray paint.

Then you can take some rubbing compound to the left overs. and clean the paint.

Last edited:
Thanks abe lugo and gkeep (Gary) that's some very helpful information. Now I just need to find the time to get busy and start stripping paint.

Back