When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wards/Hawthorne Ladies bike help!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dadof2girls1211

On Training Wheels
Hello everyone! New here, and am having a heck of a time trying to determine what I have here. I recently rescued this old girl, and am completely lost! I believe it is a '41. This is a little out of my wheelhouse, as I buy and sell vintage electronics. This was thrown in as part of a package deal recently, and I thought, why not? I will take it and hopefully find some info on it. She is extremely rough in my opinion, rear bearing is shot, very rusty, but from what I have found so far, mostly complete. Is there anyone that can give me some kind of value before I consider some type of restoration? Any info is much appreciated!

Yes, a 1941 Snyder built frame with CWC shock absorber forks, for Montgomery Ward. Fairly complete with a nice rear luggage carrier (side lights), and headlight.
It is a repainted girl’s model, so I would not recommend a restoration, also because it already looks pretty good for what it is. Maybe just some cleaning, waxing and lube for the bearings? It might be worth the cost of replacement tires and tubes.

Last edited:
If the bearings could be cleaned & greased I'd kick around on that until I could have the fork fitted to a nice CWC mens straight bar/tank frame. Anything you want to derust or clean that can be soaked I would use The Works Toilet bowl cleaner or white vinegar on with a small wire brush (tooth brush size). I clean everything I can from chains, chain rings, pedals, bolts, seats (remove fabrics etc). Full strength sometimes requires to pull it out, brush, & let it soak more when it's heavily embedded into the metal (your chain wheel for example)

If the bearings could be cleaned & greased I'd kick around on that until I could have the fork fitted to a nice CWC mens straight bar/tank frame. Anything you want to derust or clean that can be soaked I would use The Works Toilet bowl cleaner or white vinegar on with a small wire brush (tooth brush size). I clean everything I can from chains, chain rings, pedals, bolts, seats (remove fabrics etc). Full strength sometimes requires to pull it out, brush, & let it soak more when it's heavily embedded into the metal (your chain wheel for example)
That fork is correct for the bike and would only fit boys frames such as the Supreme/Four Gill or Tall tank frame. The Wards bikes whether built by Snyder or CWC for Wards could have the CWC shockmaser fork as an option. My question has always been where did final assembly of the Wards bikes take place given this strange arrangement or did CWC supply Snyder with the shockmaster? V/r Shawn

I would imagine that the forks would have been primed and sent to the frame maker’s facility where the forks would be painted to match their frames.
A refurbishment may be a well worthwhile effort if one’s young daughters might enjoy and value the vintage bicycle. However, such decision would be independent of the value of the bike, as expressed by others.

@Dadof2girls1211 I wouldn't let them ride it IF they don't appreciate, comprehend & understand it's Antique Old so it needs to be treated nice vs tossed in the yard, left out for a thief, and just general bad bike misuses

Nice find and from the serial number shot it looks like some original paint is under the house paint. You might want to check out some of the before and after threads here to see how great a bike in that condition can clean up.

And the big question is the rack, who's Joey? ;)

Back