When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Miq

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Please help us gather some more info on wartime Schwinn New Worlds (or other lightweights). We know many of you have these unique bikes and they all have an interesting story to tell. We are already starting to get an idea of what serial number New Worlds have the transition from brazing to electro forming construction and can see the progression from few blackout parts to many. There were many (not 100s of thousands but many) non-military "Defense" or "Victory" New Worlds built during the war. Here's a look at what we have started to see:

1556981529409.png

With the help of @GTs58 and @SirMike1983 and a few other New World enthusiasts, we've been able to thread a narrative about the progression of these bikes from braced big handle bar tourists with rear forks, to the inexpensive rear dropout lightweight EF performers they became. This is how we got here: 3-speeder's Wartime Schwinn New World

But there are MANY more of these wartime lightweights out there in your collections. Here's a few examples we think would help add more clues and details. Do you know anything about these bikes? Do you have a serial number or pictures or more info you can share to help add to our understanding?

@bikepaulie What's the serial number on your 1939??

@bobcycles You see all kinds of stuff and can probably add tons of info. In particular, what happened to this bike? This is exactly the kind of bike we want to know more about. War Bird

@manuelvilla You have/had a beautiful step through New World that holds clues I'm sure. My New World

@DonChristie You have/had this very original 1940 looking bike. What's the serial number? New World

@orangewill Mentioned this K serial bike of his friends. Any one know more about it? ID Help

@Jim Barnard had this bike with a 3-piece crank and brazed frame with tons of blackout parts. What's the story? Too unique! Wartime Blacked Out

@Eric had/has this blackout ladies beauty. Any way to get more info on this one? War Era Schwinn

@GenuineRides had this frame for sale that looks interesting. Did it get used in a build? Help w Year

@bikiba I know you love these bikes. Got any pics/info you can share to help add to the story. You have the blackout eyes. o_O

@jpromo In one thread you mention owning 3 of these frames (Serial F, G, and I). Please tell us more...

I'm looking forward to what kind of stuff crawls out of the woodwork on this. Who has stuff we've never seen before? Time to shine a light on that funny wartime lightweight you've been secretly loving... Let's fill the table out all the way to @SirMike1983 's gorgeous 1947 multi-gear New World!

YOU GOT THEM - LET'S SEE THEM!!

Last edited:
@GTs58 Nice! Arfsaidthebee has the big boy 23" frame you don't see very often. Look at the size of that head man!!

I'm adding a few other's you've pointed out to me over that past few weeks and also this supposed 1945 from classiccyleus. It has a blackout multi-speed ND coaster and 3-piece crank w blackout sprocket. Dig the 2 front bar braces and front drum hub.
1557007194054.png

Here's the table now.
1557007391927.png

@bikepaulie That’s the beautiful bike I listed as Eric’s in the tables above. That one rear wire brace seems to be a K serial thing so far...
Any idea what the serial number is on the 1939 you have with the rear forks??

Thanks!!

1557020821947.png

Last edited:
I had a mens a few years back I parted out before I really knew what I was doing. Not like I know ALL that much now. Thankfully, I know who has most of it, and one of these days I'll probably give him the rest of the parts I still have from it. It had the black out ND hubs, and the as&c chainring.

My 1947 is C81661. Electroforged bottom bracket. Post-war stamped braces. Rear braces attach to eyelet rather than axle. That's should all be pretty standard for a post-war bike. Originally a single-speed freewheel set up. The multi-gear is a set of 1940s Continental wheels I use because I prefer the 3 speed.

I think Wrongway at one point had a post-war New World serial # V70556. I don't recall the year. It had the electroforged frame and the stamped-style braces that connect to an eyelet rather than axle in the back. This serial number may be late enough to use the post-war Schwinn serial number chart. I suspect it was a late model New World from 1948 or later.

JohnSwartz had a post-war New World that was a bare frame. Serial #I43215. Electroforged frame/bottom bracket. Eyelets for fenders on the rear dropout. But otherwise was just a bare frame.

Back