When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Were the wartime bikes limited to certain models?
I have a tourist 3 speed 26” wheel Paramount with blackout
hubs. I’ll have to check the hub stamp & S/N .

Did you find anything that would indicate a build time? It was mentioned by Schwinn in a March 1942 magazine ad that the only bikes that will be built will be the New World and it had no mention of Cycle Trucks that were being produced. If your Paramount was early (pre) post war it very well could be a 1945 model and have some black out parts as some of the early 1945 New Worlds that have shown up. This was obviously published in 1945.

1618553650544.png

Started in on this one today. Was looking around at the bike projects and this was the next one that wasn’t going to cost me much if any money! If anyone has a spare rear fender brace they don’t need and a front chain guard non drive side clamp, I’m in need of correct parts!

When I bought it.

After today.

Here’s the digits if it can be added to the registry. Who knows what all the other stamped numbers besides the serial mean? 625? On the sprocket and frame.

No date on the crank. H502 and a + in a circle. The threads under the outer cone are pretty boogered, don't know how only the inner half can be messed up.

I was really hoping for some good news with a casting date. Dang, double whammy with buggered up cone threads and no date. Is the cone serviceable?

@RustyHornet thats going to fit nice on the chart. The other stamps could be bike security stampings from a registry. ??

@Doodsie those were the same markings as on my OG 41 crank. 502 is the Ladies/New World 6.5” crank part number. Sorry to hear about the threads. The ladies 502 dog leg cranks are somewhat easier to find at least.

@Miq That very well could be! I’m a little disappointed, but should have known... The red paint is really thick on this one, I was able to strip the neck yesterday, not much chrome left. It started in on the bars, doesn’t seem like much chrome at all survived on those. Fate of this one is uncertain right now! It will be riding again, just not sure what it’s gonna look like!

Reactions: Miq
I was really hoping for some good news with a casting date. Dang, double whammy with buggered up cone threads and no date. Is the cone serviceable?
It took a lot of effort to thread it off the good threads, but I don't expect I'll be reusing it. I have a similar vintage ladies bike that has the same crank. I should have not touched any of the damn bike and left it as found.

Back