When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

-
I did finally list it. Had to do some strange work arounds to get it to post. Per the earlier post, what is an EF BB? And how do I tell if it is a men's or women's crank arm?
EF BB is electroforged bottom bracket. basically how the frame was constructed. it is not important for you trying to sell it. these guys are trying among other things to figure out what year changes were made in frame construction on these old bikes.

EF BB is electroforged bottom bracket. basically how the frame was constructed. it is not important for you trying to sell it. these guys are trying among other things to figure out what year changes were made in frame construction on these old bikes.
I love all the learning going on in this thread. So much information coming about and the list is getting bigger! Can’t wait to get one of mine back together…

That is absolutely gorgeous! Did you add the rear hub or was it born that way???
Thank you!
It came as a standard coaster brake model, but I felt that it looked a bit sparse without the hand brakes.
I looked around for a set of the caliper brakes, but only came up with a front brake.
So, since I had a nice set of prewar expander brake hubs, and they were on the options list, I decided to go that route.

I’m thinking about adding a light kit, but I’m not sure, what was available for these at that time.
I’ve seen the Delta Roadliter mentioned in the period advertisements, but I’m not all that crazy about the styling of that particular headlight.
So, I’ll look around, and see if something more appropriate pops up.

Thank you!
It came as a standard coaster brake model, but I felt that it looked a bit sparse without the hand brakes.
I looked around for a set of the caliper brakes, but only came up with a front brake.
So, since I had a nice set of prewar expander brake hubs, and they were on the options list, I decided to go that route.
View attachment 1486431
I’m thinking about adding a light kit, but I’m not sure, what was available for these at that time.
I’ve seen the Delta Roadliter mentioned in the period advertisements, but I’m not all that crazy about the styling of that particular headlight.
So, I’ll look around, and see if something more appropriate pops up.
Man that is perfect. Makes me wanna get my 1940 3 speed with front and rear rim brakes going!

@Alphabetty thanks for joining the fun here! When the bottom bracket (BB) was made it could have been electroforged (EF), in which case there would be a big electroforging (electric welding) line across it like this:
1632888793704.png

More pics of your New World are very welcome here. It's an interesting bike built in a transitional time at Schwinn. Good luck with the sale!

@cyclingday Nice pic of the front brake! It looks right at home. I updated the chart with your expander brake info and corrected the saddle info on @49autocycledeluxe 's Liberty badged bike.

1632889641784.png

1632889665904.png

1632889864649.png

1632889904726.png

1632889931027.png

@Alphabetty you can tell if the crank is a New World crank by measuring from the center of the pedal hole to the center of the part of the crank that passes through the BB. If it is a 6 1/2" then it is a New World crank. If it is 7" long it was replaced with a Men's crank from another Schwinn model.
IMG_9810 (Edited).JPG

A New World crank might also have the part number 502 molded into the center section of the crank (if you were to pull it out to clean/replace the BB components)
1632890725881.png

1632890876774.png

Cool stuff @cyclingday. It would be interesting to know how many lightweights were sold in 41 for sure. I imagine the results of the “Form 209” survey burned up with the rest of the records.

Where did the “About the new model bicycles“ text come from? Is it a dealer newsletter? Neat insight into how quickly businesses had to adapt to wartime government influence. Diamond frame New Worlds fit the bill and the low volume production seems to have allowed/helped them to introduce new manufacturing techniques like electro forging more and more of the frame joints.

Back