When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

-
I need to catch up here.

@49autocycledeluxe The Liberty badged Niles Flea Market find bike has dark green fenders and a black frame. OK.

@Oilit That bike is really sweet. I love that the rear reflector and blocky LIBERTY down tube decal are still there. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

@49autocycledeluxe cool project frame. You are now at the Platinum level on the New World frequent flyer program. 🤩
It was built during the period where both EF and NOT EF BB were stamped with "I" serials. Can you tell from the pics?

1664511362551.png

1664511430890.png

1664511473766.png

1664511499298.png

1664511528571.png

1664511553927.png

Looking at the Cadillac that @49autocycledeluxe bought got me wondering exactly when Schwinn started putting the built-in kickstands on the New Worlds? They stopped building the balloon tire bikes during the war and maybe the war-time restrictions prevented the New World getting them, but does anybody know the earliest bike on the list to have one? Or do I need to start digging?

Interesting! I see an earlier "C" serial and two "B" serials on the list, did they not have them? I was under the impression that the "A(?)", "B" and "C" serials were all post-war, but maybe it depends on what you consider post-war. I believe the war-time restrictions were actually relaxed late in 1944, is that right?

Interesting! I see an earlier "C" serial and two "B" serials on the list, did they not have them? I was under the impression that the "A(?)", "B" and "C" serials were all post-war, but maybe it depends on what you consider post-war. I believe the war-time restrictions were actually relaxed late in 1944, is that right?
That's correct, but how much relaxed is the question. Schwinn started producing bikes for retail in 1945 and from what I've researched those were only DX models that I can actually say were earlier than 1946 models. They also had B and C serial numbers. They were full blown EF frames and had built in stands. There is a very good chance Schwinn was also building New Worlds in 1945 but their advancement in the EF'g was way behind the updates that the balloon models had. They still had the chain stays and down tubes hand welded.

@whopperchopper 's C05489 serial had an integrated stand too.
1664682307250.png

1664682337306.png

The other B serial is @vincev 's stepthru with kids seat. It also has an integrated stand.
1664682591284.png

1664682635030.png

Whopperchoppers has the prewar chain ring and a C serial where vincev's has a B serial and post war chain ring. The New Worlds will probably be one tough cookie to place the time of post war production unless they have a dated SA hub, or crank.

Back