When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yessir, this wasn't my Holy Grail find however thought I would piece together, its straight with no dents!

You can barely see the box pins. I was told by a reliable source the blue paint back then did not have a a long life.

Thanks for your response, the Palo Alto sticker is awesome!

The New Worlds had painted fenders if you're trying to stay original. You sure don't see very many of these in blue. Sold in Palo Alto. 😎
Palo Alto is a Meca of bicycling. Home of Stanford University. A very affluent area and has sold high end bicycles for decades due the lack of auto parking. I could see a New World as a common commuter bike in that area.

John

the sticker on the bike is from what turned into Palo Alto Bicycles and Toy World. it closed in 2017 after 87 years.

toy-photo-2.jpg

1678669073141.jpeg

Last edited:
Thinking about these darn lightweights here recently. I need to do something with the 2 I have… One I plan to keep, the other I will probably move on down the road…

If anyone is interested in a project 1941 men’s New world, let me know. It’s mostly complete. Missing seat and brake lever I think. Completely covered in red paint. Original maroon poking through in spots. It’s currently disassembled and would be easy for me to pack and ship.

I seriously injured my back several years ago and it’s flared up recently… I am not going to be able to get to a lot of projects I had hoped to…

I can dig up pictures later.

The address says 326 Waverly.

A friend of mine covered that area as a sales rep for Pearl Izumi, Giro Helmets and Cliff Bar.

Pal Alto bicycles was an awesome account for him. Sure miss those days traveling to Northern California, beautiful. place.

Please post pictures of your lightweight!

I hear you about the over-paint project. Removal of over-paint while leaving the original finish is tricky. If you're really lucky, 0000 steel wool and some paint thinner will get you back to original, or even a little Citri-Strip on a rag. If you're unlucky, it's old school paint stripper, xylene, MEK, or something similarly nasty that is needed to remove the paint. There's also oven cleaner and an egg timer, but oven cleaner is nasty stuff in its own right.

The one plus is that if the original finish was not sanded prior to over-painting, and if the over-paint comes off reasonably well, the original maroon might be in good shape underneath. The maroon seems to oxidize to a brown-ish color, and sometimes to a black cherry type color. If the maroon was sealed away under over-paint and you can get the over-paint off, you might be looking at decent paint underneath. The job of removing the over-paint still kind of stinks though.

Back