When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
SailorBenjamin at least used to own a post-war New World with serial # E20071. If I recall, this had the usual post-war set up with electroforged frame, rear fender eyelet, and stamped braces.

Thanks @SirMike1983 I appreciate you adding a bunch of info on the later model bikes.

1557033835696.png

What you are doing gathering this information is interesting. I never really paid too much attention to the serial numbers. The longstanding wisdom was that pre-48 serial numbers were difficult, at best. I ended up focusing on features and the various options that turn up in terms of the parts. But it's interesting to get the serial numbers and features charted out together, and you've done a pretty good job of it.

What you are doing gathering this information is interesting. I never really paid too much attention to the serial numbers. The longstanding wisdom was that pre-48 serial numbers were difficult, at best. I ended up focusing on features and the various options that turn up in terms of the parts. But it's interesting to get the serial numbers and features charted out together, and you've done a pretty good job of it.

Thanks SirMike! Prewar serials are difficult and confusing. If no one ever attempts to figure it out, then we are stuck saying “well no one really knows...” forever. This community can help fill in some of the clues with physical evidence.

We have the bikes, Schwinn made them during the war with blackout mixmaster parts and war tires. Let’s talk about them and see what we can figure out. If other people add more info, like you have, we will get even more data to help figure it out. Like you said it’s already starting to show some trends...

Who else has a wartime bike to share?

@DonChristie Thank you for the update. Hopefully another member will run into it again someday and let us know more about it. It is in great shape.

@bricycle That Ryobi project is sweet! Truly custom fab. Thank you for pointing to the 1940 New World frame you are using. It fits in the chart exactly where the missing DonChristie bike used to be. Thank you for participating in this serial number project, every bike (even just a frame) adds lots of data. You rock! It looks like the frame changed from rear forks to rear dropouts somewhere between C serials and D serials. @SirMike1983 @bikepaulie you'll dig this. Check it out:

1557330056981.png

@manuelvilla @bobcycles Can you help us with any info on the bikes you have come across?

Last edited:
Back