When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@GTs58 dug up a thread with this 1942 New World. Neat black out hubs. The rear bar mudguard stays look like replacements for broken original "wire" stays or maybe just another example of mix-master wartime building. ?? I'm guessing replacements by how they're "attached" to the rear axle...
1567782616997.png

I74208 Serial Number is right in the 1942 mix.
1567782668390.png

1567783098067.png

@mr.cycleplane That's an outstanding example! 3 piece crank, great paint, stripes, and decals, and "World" stamped Mesigner saddle. I've never seen one of those before! New Departures hubs with a Small Arm Brake. Too cool.

That's a very well preserved prewar bike mr. cycleplane. Thank you for adding it to the thread. I captured it in the registry below:
1570915151126.png

Last edited:
Hello all New World fans! I am new to the CABE but a long time old bike old guy! These light weights seem to be coming out of the woodwork. From the beginning to Racers, Travelers and the whole evolution. Never really paid much attention to them until this came along. Prewar 3 speed, 3 piece crank, steel brakes, wire braces, etc. Serial number looks to be D4607. Came out of Northern California. Not sure of the back story. This has seen some SERIOUS weathering. Surface rust all over but no pitting. What remains of the chrome is very shiny. Tires and seat rotten but decals still readable. Was completely frozen but since taken completely apart. Did the OA thing and it all cleaned up with NO visible damage to threads. Seat frame has very nice chrome. Bike looked like it had never been apart before. Going to try to get ridable again with an oily cloth restoration for now. Picked up some nice S6 wheels with Kendas. My big issue is the Sturmey Archer hub. Original to the bike but completely frozen. Like to keep the original hub but any ideas of how to approach making it work? Anyone out there who specializes in these? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

nw2.JPG

nw3.JPG

nw4.JPG

nw5.JPG

nw6.JPG

nw7.JPG

nw8.JPG

nw1.JPG

Thanks @1motime! Another prewar with only four numbers after the letter in the serial. We've seen a few of these now, including the frame from @bricycle that I've been adding the leading 0 to accidentally (fixed below), @vincev 's crazy I#### serial bike, and @mr.cycleplane 's D#### ride. 1940 was a fun year for these bikes and these #### examples usually have 3 piece cranks, fancy front sprockets, and multi speed hubs. A lot nicer than the tourist coaster bikes like mine. :)

I really like that the decals are still so bright even with the very dull paint. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it. Can you tell what the original paint color was? It looks like maroon under the BB.

You can really see why they call them "matress" saddles with the springs exposed. :D

The rear hub looks not so corroded from the outside. I have never taken a Sturmey apart, but I bet there is a lot of info here if you look for it and keep asking. Keep going!!
1571204354106.png

@mr.cycleplane I saw another World stamped Mesinger saddle on eBay today. It is slightly different than yours, and not in nearly as good a condition, but has a similar stamp.
1572194781331.png

1572194936459.png
1572194950690.png

Yours looks like the "Suspension Mattress" touring saddle with the top eyelets.
1572195483480.png

1572196947644.png

The eBay one looks more like a racing saddle but has bigger looking coil springs in back than this drawing. ???
1572196475385.png

Last edited:
Interesting seat-same cool logo! I like the 1939 date on it-Schwinn probably asked mesinger to come up with an English type saddle for this 'new' line of bikes! Halfway between my touring and a racing saddle- has a definate touring look but not as deep. hummmm...

Reactions: Miq
@rennfaron Nice! Same top eyelet English style "World" stamped saddle as @mr.cycleplane 's.

You're right, Mr. Cycleplane's bike's original 1940 maroon paint, pins, and decals (and saddle) are some of the best preserved examples we've seen for prewar New Worlds. Still shines like it just came from the factory. :)

Back