When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

-
@rennfaron I think we are posting the same ideas right on top of each other. :) I also think we are on the same page with the names. He's my take:

#1407 Mesinger Racing Saddle

1572196475385-png.png

1939_02.jpg

#7000 World Stamped "World Lightweight Saddle"
s-l1600-3-jpg.jpg

#7000A "Lightweight Saddle for New World English Type" could be something like this but I can't figure it out:
1939_01 edited.jpg

41 English Saddle 2.JPG
It's a less expensive version of an English saddle.

The Mesinger options at the top of the 1940 parts list looked like these, or some OEM version of them for Schwinn:
mesinger 1940a.JPG

Mesinger Top.JPG

1941 New World from Bikeforumsdotnet.JPG

Last edited:
I got some great new pics of the 1940 New World @bricycle added to our list months ago. He sent me some more info on the bike and pics from when he received it. He helped fill in some of the questions we still had about this bike. This is another of the 1940 bikes with only 4 numbers after the letter in the serial number. These bikes have all been nicer than your average New World Tourist and include 3 speed coaster hubs, 3 piece cranks, and nice chainrings. Bricycle's New World has maroon paint with gold decals and pin stripes. It came with white painted wheels and a front hand brake.

One of the first New Worlds with rear dropouts starting in 1940.

Updated Chart:
Chart 2019-10-29.jpg

Thanks again @bricycle !!

@Miq so it looks like there were three "standard" options down at the bottom for the NW. The mesinger racing saddle I am pretty sure is inline with one of the two or both of those saddles I posted (could just be from different years). The second, the World Lightweight Saddle, is the one we have referenced, with the world stamp. Do you know what that last one would be? And this saddle note in the '41 catalog: Schwinn english type lightweight or mesinger.
If I could just find a dealer to order spares off that sheet... I'd like to order about 10 of the English style saddles at $1.80 each. Probably NOT a Brooks, but I imagine in 1940 there were dozens of leather seat makers in England. Middlemore, maybe.
I have to say I find it amazing the range of optional extras and specifications the New World bike could be ordered with. I think Schwinn was dipping their toe in the water, so to speak, as far as testing the market.
At some point, Schwinn were the biggest bike manufacturers in the world, I think. At least the richest? So, they certainly had the technology to bring a lightweight to the US market.

Reactions: Miq
I got some great new pics of the 1940 New World @bricycle added to our list months ago. He sent me some more info on the bike and pics from when he received it. He helped fill in some of the questions we still had about this bike. This is another of the 1940 bikes with only 4 numbers after the letter in the serial number. These bikes have all been nicer than your average New World Tourist and include 3 speed coaster hubs, 3 piece cranks, and nice chainrings. Bricycle's New World has maroon paint with gold decals and pin stripes. It came with white painted wheels and a front hand brake.

One of the first New Worlds with rear dropouts starting in 1940.

Updated Chart:
View attachment 1087869
Thanks again @bricycle !!
Bricycle's pictures aren't showing up for me. There are 10 icons, but none of them open. Is anybody else having this issue?

I can see the one picture in post 106 but not the ones posted in #107.....:cry:

I take it from GTs58's "Like" of Try 3 that the Bricycle pics are visible now. :)

A couple of things. I started the original post about Bricycle's NW when they shut the site down and updated it. I finished it when the lights came back on later that night.

It seems like cutting and pasting pictures is a lot more finicky than it used to be. I used to be able to quickly cut and paste pics from private messages into new posts, and also from the Snipping Tool in Windows. Doesn't seem like that's working right. I'll see if someone already mentioned it to the Admins.

Last edited:
Back