When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@49autocycledeluxe picked up this late J serial wartime VW1M recently.
1624247539883.png
1624247556082.png
1624247569706.png
1624247582879.png
1624247602394.png
1624247612603.png

1624247787147.png

Classic VW1M wartime bike with no kickstand and single wire rear mudguard brace, nice collection of blackout parts, and the previous owner removed the War Tires from it. Too cool @49autocycledeluxe !! 😎

Added @RustyHornet 's new additions to the list along with the bike above and updated @Jim sciano 's C serial notes to reflect the transformation it's undergone.

1624248444974.png

1624248543745.png

@Miq thanks for adding those! Life is settling down a little bit this week, so I should be able to get some of those 1942 ladies parts listed for sale. And the men’s bike will be a long term project as I have many more in front of it...

Reactions: Miq
Well folks, it’s not a new world but I am hoping someone could shed some light on this mystery continental that I picked up. This continental has a decal set that I have never saw before on one of these. The painted fenders is also an oddity as well as the a s & co sprocket. Has a pencil stand and a non dated three speed. Rims are chrome, not stainless. I know the bars and grips are wrong. Seems like it would fall in line as a first year continental but I was wondering if anyone has spotted this style decal on a continental before? A very gentle refurbishing is in order but it’s going to be awhile before I get to it. Can’t wait, I think it’s a pretty odd duck. Reminds me more of a superior than a continental.

Well folks, it’s not a new world but I am hoping someone could shed some light on this mystery continental that I picked up. This continental has a decal set that I have never saw before on one of these. The painted fenders is also an oddity as well as the a s & co sprocket. Has a pencil stand and a non dated three speed. Rims are chrome, not stainless. I know the bars and grips are wrong. Seems like it would fall in line as a first year continental but I was wondering if anyone has spotted this style decal on a continental before? A very gentle refurbishing is in order but it’s going to be awhile before I get to it. Can’t wait, I think it’s a pretty odd duck. Reminds me more of a superior than a continental.View attachment 1452276

View attachment 1452278

View attachment 1452277

View attachment 1452279

View attachment 1452280

View attachment 1452281
Yes, wow, so similar to a Superior. Serial number I'd guess to be 1945. Flat fender stays also fit the same years. Can you make out any color on the box lining (striping)? Looks gold? Does anybody wash with CLR? CLR did a great job bringing back some color to my original paint VW from 1955. Seems there was more color under the rust than I expected. Then you have to seal it, of course. Car wax would be my choice.

It DOES look a lot like a New World. Differences are subtle but important. The Round decal at the bottom of the seat tubes says something like "Genuine Seamless Steel Tubing" , The frame is totally brass fillet brazed, the bottom bracket is the lighter 3 piece cottered style and the stem is pretty special. Possibly they had different rims and hubs, too. Seat clamp is a separate part.
Thing is, the New World was a bike that dealers and customers could custom order so almost any of those could be optional on a New World, (except the special steel brazed frame.) And they probably made 100 times as many New worlds as Continentals and even less Superiors. All these lightweight Schwinns were a bit of a new marketing direction for the company starting in 1938 and Schwinn getting serious about international racing, especially track and the olympics.

That’s an interesting bike @Jim sciano There are a lot of post war looking parts like the kickstand, fender braces, and separate seat clamp like Alan mentioned. We have seen some K serial New Worlds in the late war time era but we have never seen a 3 piece crank K serial with only four numbers.

The fillet welded frame with 3 piece crank set and multi-gear hub is sweet. That’s going to be a great riding bike when you are done. 😎.

Very cool. Must be a early one. Even the catalog cover says advance information. Mid to late 46 must be when the standard decal set was the norm. Pretty cool

I don't know the full history of that catalog but my research states that the "advanced information" label was added on later by the reproducer. It was based off an actual catalog, but the cover was not what was issued in 1946. The internals are authentic though.

From a seller selling quite a few of these years back:
"Reprinted Vintage & Rare 1946 Advance Information Post-War Arnold, Schwinn Built Bicycles Bike Dealer Catalog. In 1946 Schwinn sent out a special catalog to bicycle dealers that described what was to come. This catalog was perhaps the most verbose catalog Schwinn had made and it explained both it's pre-war technology and it's post war offerings and features. The factory of Arnold, Schwinn & Company, the largest producer of bicycles in America, has been expanded through the war years. New equipment, tools, and machinery have been installed. As a result not only will the high quality for which Schwinn-built bicycles were famous pre-war, be still better, but nearly twice as many bicycles will be produced daily. Schwinn leadership assures you volume and profit. Get your copy here! Perfect replica for any shop or Scwhinn enthusiast!!"

Back