When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

-
Put me on the board coach. I made the team! I just picked this one up yesterday
for an absolute deal. Schwinn gods parted the clouds and bright rays of what
looked like chromed spokes shone down upon me... $50 on Offerup. I love this bike.
Serial number H80894. Odd detail is coaster rear wheel with no brake and only one
front wheel hand brake. I suppose it's possible the rear brake is missing along
with the seat. And I'm not sure about the grips as these are Schwinn in the oval.
Pedals are Torrington 8s. Lobdell rims and the tires are new made in China, pitui.
Diamond 1/2" chain. The pin stripping is still sharp with a bit of wear on the top bar
and rear fender. No rear reflector or even a hole for one. Is there a type that would
attach using the fender stay bolt? Rusty worn spot through the chrome on the
handlebars where either a light or a bell was attached. I've been saving a Schwinn
bell for just such an occasion. She's beautiful. Just need to fix that rear fender and
go for a ride! Woo! I'm so happy.

Glad to see some new ones joining the list.

@DaGasMan Nice looking bike, the paint and decals are great. The 41 Catalog has the large flange freewheel rear hub paired with front and rear hand brakes (W1MFC). It was very easy to customize these bikes and mix in other lightweight parts. Your back mudguard should attach to the frame where the missing rear brake would mount to the frame. It doesn't look like a rear hand brake left a mark on the handle bars so maybe it never had one, but its hard to tell from the pictures. ?? The catalog drawing below shows the reflector mounted on the rear mudguard stay attachment. We'd love to see some more pics of this bike. Please take some as you clean it up if you can. It is going to be a very nice prewar survivor.
1941 Schwinn New World Catalog Page.jpg

@RunGrampyRun Nice haul pulling a pair of 48s. 😎 The 1 owner blue bike is very well preserved. What does the gold decal on the seat tube say?

The red bike could also be a great bike. I can still see pins and decals on the frame. It needs some love but it could be a solid rider. The stainless wheels are sweet. Can you please take more pics of these bikes too? What is the serial number of the red bike? Can we see the bottom of the bottom bracket?

1948 Catalog Pic of the Tourist version:

1948_schwinn_W1M - New World Lightweight.jpg

1646585058472.png

1646585087133.png

1646585126042.png

1646585174531.png

1646585232636.png

pic of red was taken immediately after acquiring with no clean up.
Yellow tag on blue one is dealer sticker. Cant get SN pic to upload I’m recovering from being run off road by a car (neither of these bikes) so will get additional pix when I can use both hands again.

The seller provided a picture taken the day his mother, Shirley brought home the bike. She bought it with her 1st paycheck from her 1st job @ The Federal Reserve in St Louis. Unfortunately the purchase paperwork is gone.

A12F07B1-8656-4E94-89AC-FA7CE9DCD8D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Miq. I agree with your well judged assessment that it's a W1MFC. Thank you
for posting the ad too. I'll be posting in the WTB section for the front rim, rear brake
and seat, etc. I'll also start a new post with better photos as I go, rather than gum this
one up with my stuff.

Reactions: Miq
Back