When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a step-through version, Dark Blue, Frame and Forks only, #I77208 (1942?) the year would jive with what I was told when I bought it from Westminster Schwinn many years ago. It is all Fillet-Brazed except for the BB to Seat tube joint. Just pulled it down from the shop attic and will post pic's when I get it cleaned up a bit. I will be listing it for sale when I have pic's.

I have a step-through version, Dark Blue, Frame and Forks only, #I77208 (1942?) the year would jive with what I was told when I bought it from Westminster Schwinn many years ago. It is all Fillet-Brazed except for the BB to Seat tube joint.

Thanks @Vicious Cycle, please take some pics of the bottom bracket welds and serial number if you can. We would like to see your 42 frame and forks before they get sold.

Here are some pics. This came from the owner of Westminster Schwinn back in the 80's. He told me it was a War-time Schwinn. Your ser.# list peg's it at 1942

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Welding details look exactly like my men's frame with the J serial. I speculate that makes mine about 1943. Bottom bracket ONLY the seat tube is what came to be called "electroforged" Nice paint and decals! Did yours have all the parts of just the bare frame?
Mine was bare, but for headset and seatpost and fenders.

@Vicious Cycle thank you for the great pics of your very well preserved frame and forks. Nice to see the welding details. The seat tube decal is outstanding 🤩 and the pin striping is pretty complete. From looking at its neighbors on the list, I imagine the bike had blackout hubs as well as many other blackout parts. Like @HUFFMANBILL 's 42 it looks like it may have come with a Miller kickstand. I can't tell from any of the pics if it might have had a chain guard or not. When you say Westminster Schwinn, you mean Westminster CA, right?

Good luck with your sale. I hope someone gets it rolling again someday.

Last edited:
Yes, Westminster So. Cal.

p.s. put the frame and fork on Deal Or No Deal today, time for a new home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miq
New World bike E55712 is a standard men's frame, dark red example. It looks to be in the 1948-49 date range, based on your chart. It has:

Electro-forged bottom bracket shell
Standard pitch drive train
One piece crank
Mesinger Slide rail saddle (the balloon style one)
Standard type post-war fender braces
Front and rear hand brakes - "Schwinn Built" calipers with Schwinn type levers
Dunlop EA1 / 26 x 1-1/4 stainless rims
British-style wing nut front hub
December 1948 Sturmey Archer AM medium ratio 3-speed hub
Galvanized spokes
Hockey stick chain guard
Chain guard has the brake cable housing loop for the Schinn unisex rear brake routing
standard New World round head badge

This is the first New World I've found with British clubman style wheels. I thought they were 1960s replacements originally, but then I noticed the 1948 AM medium ratio hub and the old-style Dunlop stainless rim imprints. The wing nut front hub is another odd addition. So perhaps someone special ordered a somewhat sportier New World. Kind of strange to stick to the one-piece crank with all that though.

The bike also has the best preserved set of Uniroyal chain treads I've ever seen on a 3 speed bike. They were nice tires, but nylon cord, so probably somewhat after the bike was made.

20220426_201853.jpg

Last edited:
Back