When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Westfield Build with J 11 BB Stamp

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hello all. I saw this bike at the ML swap but bought it at Monroe swap. I haven't seen one quite like it.
It has a taller 22" frame with paint that is in great shape and some beautiful gold pins. BB stamp J 11 with W106797 s n.
No headbadge or any visible holes for one, and no identifying labels. Only a stars and bars transfer on the seat tube.
It has a plastic chainguard covering a chainring with a style that I haven't seen before.
The rear tire is marked U.S. CHAIN TREAD 42 V, front is a Pharis.
Plenty of blackout parts with the rear hub being a finned Elgin with an odd looking double image name on the brake arm.

Please have a look at the images and let me know if you have seen one or have any info about this model. I can see that the grips aren't og and the seller kept the rat-trap pedals from it that were Torrington 18's.

Here are some pics. More to come

Hi @3-speeder

Checking my notes, we've discussed this one before. It's a nice bike, and I'm pleased to see it's gone to somone who appreciates what it is, though it's a shame about the pedals. However, blackout wooden pedals turn up, and a lot cheaper.

You'll see the earlier photos and discussion here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/inquiry-on-old-columbia-bikes-and-a-sears-one.191680/

To cut and paste what I said last time:

W106797, J11, was one of the last bikes to be built in 1942 (the last was W112859). It is a Sports Tourist Model VG295. The frame was made in November 1942, and the bike built up in December 1942. Bikes by this point were rationed, and technically, the only way to obtain it was to apply for a permit, working for a specified necessary profession.

The bike has been simplified in comparison to earlier production To save further material it would have been supplied without a headbadge, bell, stand, chainguard, and with blackout parts and in a standard colour. So this bike never had a headbadge, and instead the frame serial number starts with a W to identify it as a Westfield bike. The Red colour is one of the standard colours available. The chainguard and lights are not original to it, but have been there a long time, and I'd be inclined to leave them on. The chainwheel is the first I've seen of that type, and I suspect is not original. It probably should be in blackout, but again, war shortages caused strange things to happen, and I wouldn't totally discount it being correct without looking at it first hand for vidence either way. So I'd probably leave it on too.

Coincidentally, @Goldslinger owns the nearest known survivor to this one too, W105355. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/26x1-375replacement.174089/#post-1181819

I see you were part of the discussion that time (-:

Thanks for the more detailed photos. It was evidently a bicycle that had good use from its owner post war.

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, despite what I said above about the chain gurd, I notice the the ladie's bike has one the same, so it probably is original.
Schwinn's War Time New Worlds were built and shipped with no chain guards do to some of the restrictions. I would think this may also apply to Columbia production. That guard is a universal piece and most likely added at some point?

Hi @3-speeder

Checking my notes, we've discussed this one before. It's a nice bike, and I'm pleased to see it's gone to somone who appreciates what it is, though it's a shame about the pedals. However, blackout wooden pedals turn up, and a lot cheaper.

You'll see the earlier photos and discussion here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/inquiry-on-old-columbia-bikes-and-a-sears-one.191680/

To cut and paste what I said last time:

W106797, J11, was one of the last bikes to be built in 1942 (the last was W112859). It is a Sports Tourist Model VG295. The frame was made in November 1942, and the bike built up in December 1942. Bikes by this point were rationed, and technically, the only way to obtain it was to apply for a permit, working for a specified necessary profession.

The bike has been simplified in comparison to earlier production To save further material it would have been supplied without a headbadge, bell, stand, chainguard, and with blackout parts and in a standard colour. So this bike never had a headbadge, and instead the frame serial number starts with a W to identify it as a Westfield bike. The Red colour is one of the standard colours available. The chainguard and lights are not original to it, but have been there a long time, and I'd be inclined to leave them on. The chainwheel is the first I've seen of that type, and I suspect is not original. It probably should be in blackout, but again, war shortages caused strange things to happen, and I wouldn't totally discount it being correct without looking at it first hand for vidence either way. So I'd probably leave it on too.

Coincidentally, @Goldslinger owns the nearest known survivor to this one too, W105355. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/26x1-375replacement.174089/#post-1181819

I see you were part of the discussion that time (-:

Thanks for the more detailed photos. It was evidently a bicycle that had good use from its owner post war.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks Adrian. I knew that you were the right person to ask. I was hoping to share one that you hadn't seen before but I am glad to learn some history on this bike.

Schwinn's War Time New Worlds were built and shipped with no chain guards do to some of the restrictions. I would think this may also apply to Columbia production. That guard is a universal piece and most likely added at some point?

Hi, yes, I agree that this was part of the rules at the time, which is why I metioned it. Whilst it could be a retrofit, it's an interesting coincidence that the nearest numbered survivor has the same guard. So it is eiter a coincidence (that was all that was available in the shops, the bikes came from the same source, etc.), or the policy was just changing, and Westfield bought them in for fitting. I don't know the answer, but if a few more turn up, we may start to figure it out.

@3-speeder , I appreciate you sharing, thanks. (-:

There are only a limited number of bikes of this sort out there, and a limited number of people prepared to colelct and curate them, so it's not surprising to see repeats, and I'm happy to see it's being appreciated.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks again Adrian. Do you have a spreadsheet posted that includes these lightweight wartime bikes?

Back