When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was there EVER a "Fireball" paint pattern B6????

-

No Repro please

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought a '49 cantilever 26" frame (to build a B6) & had the bike painted with the "Comet" or "Fireball" paint pattern, & loaded it up with factory accessories, and with painted cream S2 wheels & red & cream fenders with streamlined headlight. It looks GREAT, BUT, tell me this was possible to get back in the day, or will I have to absolutely go with the Phantom "Spear" paint pattern for my B6 to be correct? Thanks in advance.

The only fireball scheme I can think of on a canti was later 50's Hornet (I think). For '49 you will need the standard paint scheme to be correct otherwise this would be considered a custom. V/r Shawn

I believe "Fireball" scheme on a canti frame started in 53 with the Meteor and then later 54-55 the Streamliner and Wasp. Pretty sure only the D models in 49 had the Fireball detailing.

Looks like I've "blended" a DX with a B6. The painter owned a bike shop & had 40 years experience with vintage bikes, & never told me this was improper...guess he thought the "customer is always right"...

I just realized, if you want to pay a lot extra, a car company will craft any type interior you want on a "one off" car, & it is still a factory one-off car, & "correct" within itself! I'm sure if I went to Chicago Schwinn back then, & special ordered this, still in their Schwinn paint patterns like mine is, they would have done it.

An old saying,"it's your story,you can tell it any way you want".
There were factory custom paint jobs that have been authenticated.but if it didn't come from the factory,it's not a factory custom.should look cool either way though.

Thanks for throwing in that uptick at the end of your message; and I do appreciate Facts, even if painful.
I have the agonizing choice now, of living with an incorrect paint pattern, or having it repainted correctly, in a pattern that I'm not as fond of....

In your other post you seemed so intent on being 100% correct. If this is the case its a no-brainer; have the bike repainted. V/r Shawn

Back