When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From my research it seems the Phantom was released in Sep of 1949. It is likely these bikes had Aug or earlier serial numbers. I think Schwinn was really just previewing things to come. While I wouldn’t call these ‘49 models I don’t really consider the early bikes ‘50 models either. As for the differences some of the early bikes, to include bonafide ‘50 models had Mesinger B1 seats. The early Phantom style seat didn’t have rivets and some of the early bikes had a teardrop Wald reflector. V/r Shawn
what research?

Hey Guys,
Lots of discussion about this question... It is more simple than that to me anyway. If a Phantom has a `49 Serial Number---It is a `49, no matter when it was sold...
It was made in `49 and is a `49. Pretty easy...------------Cowboy
But, have fun with your discussions...
By that logic, my 79 c10 is a 78.

Just picked up a Black Phantom with a ‘49 SN frame. Decal on guard but rattle canned over. Some repop parts on it but was surprised to see that early result!
SN F337356

AF059126-4808-45D0-A942-8E110854CF50.jpeg

AFE7A3B0-3D8E-4B07-8EE5-4DDC834B6BA7.jpeg

6D64CEE5-99D5-484C-A13F-FB5630A8797C.jpeg

11E6DD5B-748C-422F-AC7E-B8E6868E5162.png

Reactions: hm.
Thanks for posting your new Phantom! The Phantom was an all new model for 1950 and it had an early debute in very late 1949. Those that were available for Christmas sales usually had an early October dated serial number. All the other ongoing models for the next year normally started out with November serial numbers so your Phantom would fit right in with all those bikes that were being built for the next model year. It's been said by an old and still current Schwinn Dealer (Charlie H.) that the factory shut down production in December for retooling etc.. I'm not so sure about that but I think the production of parts definitely continued on till the holidays just by looking at the serial number stamping dates.

Back