When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

-
I'd like to see an ad or dealer list from about August '49. Call it a hunch but I think the Phantom was released in '49 and not as a '50 model. V/r Shawn

I have a green Phantom (BB "G#'s" 1950) and a Pea Picker 1970 with a 1969 frame. I've been told that Schwinn would use frames from a prior year. Both bicycles are original paint. Could this be the reason for the red 1949? I've also read that red and green Phantom came out in 1950.

On my Corvette 5 speed Registry I have quite a few November 27, 1961 entries and all those bikes were built as 1962 models and many of those had a 1962 cast date on the crank. I believe it was the Nov 16th serial numbers that were on the standard 3 speed Corvettes built for the next years model. Schwinn's model year change over normally began with the Novembers serial numbered frames.
The serial number was stamped on the drop out component before it was attached to the frame so the idea of having the previous years frames stocked is only partially true.

I had a 1969 Dodge Dart 4-door with what I'm told was a leftover '68 'Super' Slant Six (225 cu. in.) engine, but Chrysler was known for using all they had because of perpetual financial troubles.

I doubt Schwinn had any problems like that in the late 40s.

Here is a May 23, and April 18,1949 Schwinn list for Salt Lake Hardware Co and absolutely no mention of a Phantom. Guess there were no actual 1949 Phantoms, just 1950 models with late 49 serial numbers. This is the only 1949 list I can find.

Note all the handle-bars w/cross brace....

Yeah but that's only a few pages from a Hardware store, hardly a complete list.. I'll look for what I have around here for the 49 in documentation as well. Doesn't Chevbel57's post above clearly indicate a 49?

I'm of the school of thought, that the Phantom series was manufactured in 1949 for the end of the year Christmas release.
So does that make it a 1949 or 1950 model?
Every kid that got one for Christmas, was riding his shiny new bike in 1950.
But, if you turned the bike over and looked at the serial number, it was manufactured and sold in 1949.
Virtually no early advertising in 1949 lists the Phantom as Schwinn's top of the line model.
The B607 Auto-Cycle De Luxe was top of the line in 1949.

Yeah but that's only a few pages from a Hardware store, hardly a complete list.. I'll look for what I have around here for the 49 in documentation as well. Doesn't Chevbel57's post above clearly indicate a 49?

Chevbel57's Phantom would be considered a 1950 model with that late year serial number. Like I said a hundred times, the model year change over for Schwinn started with the bikes wearing a 4 quarter serial number.

General Motor's change over for the Corvettes is in June. If I purchase a new 2018 Sting Ray in October and the car was built in September 2017 does that mean this car is a 2017 model? Since the 1950 Phantom had an early release you might see some with a dated "serial number" that is from October and maybe even September, or possibly a little earlier. The serial number date does not indicate when the bike was built or what model year the bike actually is.

Classic Schwinn Bicycles published by William Love MBI 2003 page 52 is pretty clear to me there was a 49 Model that was sold as a 49 model. I think we're all good here.

Classic Schwinn Bicycles published by William Love MBI 2003 page 52 is pretty clear to me there was a 49 Model that was sold as a 49 model. I think we're all good here.

I'll have to look that up. What does it say and what did he base his information on? A late 49 serial number? I've seen so many myths and false information in print and on the internet it boggles my mind. Show me some legitimate untouched Phantoms with mid year serial numbers and that would be proof positive there was actually a 1949 model year Phantom. I have yet to see one. He said she said doesn't cut it and rumors spread faster than the truth. I would really love to see some hard facts that proves there was a 1949 Phantom. I have seen a December 1949 purchase receipt for a Phantom but that only proves these early release 1950 models were available for Christmas sales.

Back