When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

-
I definitely would not call a new model being released in the fall of 1949 a 1949 model. That would be nuts in any type of product line. If it was released in June July then it could be considered a NEW 1949 model. Years ago all the American car manufactures had their new model year cars on the lots in Sept but they were not considered that years new models. The 57 middleweight Jaguar was also released early but nobody considers those as a 1956 model.

* Error on the year.
NOT MY " * "!
HOW DID YOU INSERT " * " IN MY POST?
AS A TEEN BACK IN THE DAY, I HEARD THAT THE 1949 MODELS CAME OUT IN THE FALL
OF THE YEAR. SO THE '1949' BLACK PHANTOM WOULD HAVE COME OUT IN DEC. OF '48 FOR
CHRISTMAS.

Sounds similar to the 1964.5 Ford Mustang debate.

It WAS a half year model, just like replacement season on TV.

PS I had a fellow high school rock bandmate who bought an actual '65. He got drunk and tore it in half across two large combines at the farm equipment dealer next to the high school. Survived by not being belted and lying down before impact.

It took getting kicked out of a law firm and an alcoholic girlfriend leaving him as well before anything changed.

Based on what I've been able to gather I'm inclined to think it may have been a late summer/early fall release. In Geoff's Heavy weight book it shows a partial hardware co. ad dated April 19, 1948 and is showing the Deluxe Autocycle as the top offering. Of course the 'comic book' catalog of 1949 does not depict the Phantom either. What makes me wonder though is the appearance of the 'Phantom' style rack with light on the '48 B6 which I believe was painted the main color of the bike. In 1949 this rack was offered again offered on the B6 (with white light) in addition to the non-rivet Phantom style seat. Lastly in the ad I posted of the '50 Phantom (which I believe really shows a '49 bike) it does not say anything about the Phantom being a 'new' model. You would think if it was introduced in '50 there would be a lot of hoopla over it? Ok nothing definitive but nuggets for thought. I would really like to see a '49 dealer sheet to see what was offered. V/r Shawn

IMG_1060.JPG
Here is a Nov. 1949 original Red phantom which I acquired from my buddy Wes. F326178
IMG_1114.JPG

11/10/1949 ------------------ F321358 ---------------- F326178
Cool, looks like your BB shell was the last one stamped that day.

Just my opinion. That red 49 could be the most valuable Phantom on the planet. Unless there actually is a blue 55 boys somewhere in decent condition.

There is a blue boys bike but only about a condition 5. There is also a black bike still in the shipping box. V/r Shawn

Back