When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

-
It's a good topic.....This was discussed in some detail on another forum. Harvie had/has a # FO75##3 Phantom build date 5-4-49... To me that would be a 49 I don't care when it was sold. This link also mentions a 49 twice but I suppose it could be false. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/schwinnbike.htm Also the Anniversary Phantoms were advertised as reproductions of the 49 Phantoms, that is why their serial numbers run G000001 through G0005000 1949 had a number run from G000100 to G003166. I would like to believe it's more than a coincidence.

The G serial numbers were 1950 numbers. There were some in 49 but those were from 12/9 thru 12/21 and there is no way in heaven that they were even built in 1949.

http://schwinncruisers.com/bikes/phantom/ says 1949-59 and starts with 1950 model

Dave sez: http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle810

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=14837.30 features many fellow CABErs and says built for 1950 model year. One member these says, Red , Green and Black were all built in 1949...that's being questioned.

Look at the schwinncruisers site real close. If you know your Schwinns, you'll know they didn't produce middleweights in 1953. What Pat says in his site is..........well, you'll have to take what he says with a grain of salt and bottle of tequila.

WHY NOT ASK A COLLECTOR THAT HAS AN ORIGINAL '49 PHANTOM TO CHECK OUT
THE SERIAL NUMBER TO SEE WHEN THE FRAME WAS STAMPED IN '48?

For what it's worth, I have to side with @GTs58 on the model years. I have a 1954 Jaguar with a serial number dating to October 1953, but the date on the Sturmey hub is "54 1". If the hub was built January 1954, the bike could not have been assembled in 1953, even if the frame was ready.

If it helps, I have a Black Phantom carcass with serial # F342699, which I believe dates it November 18, 1949. (Or does that just add to the confusion?) I tried to take a picture of the serial number but it did not come out too well in the low-light conditions.

Last edited:
I want to see a pic of that May 49 bike mentioned earlier in this post. That would put this baby to bed! V/r Shawn

That wouldn't be enough to nail up the coffin. Only one May Phantom will seal the deal? What if it's a restored piece? I'm sure you know there were many Phantoms built after the fact when everyone was trying to cash in on the craze. There's been lots of November #'s and some Oct. #'s So there should be many with earlier numbers if it was a mid year release. Where are they? I thought for sure there would have been hundreds of pre September SN Phantoms popping up with everyone saying they have a 1949 Phantom. I'll be keeping an eye out on all the so called "49" phantoms looking for numbers earlier than Oct.

I want to see a pic of that May 49 bike mentioned earlier in this post. That would put this baby to bed! V/r Shawn
Sean: I am communicating with a few folks on the Schwinn forum to get pics of the bike and the bottom bracket on the May 49 Phantom sent to me.

I was just driving home from work, and saw my first 2018 Ford F-150.
Nice looking truck.
Gee!
To see a brand new truck on the road in September of 2017 means that thing was probably on the assembly line in May?
Just a guess, but probably not to far off.
No one will ever call that truck a 2017 model even though it's vin number will clearly state that it was manufactured and sold in 2017.
Now I know bicycle production cannot be compared to the automobile business.
But, the bicycle business was and is a Christmas season driven business.
You know, Black Friday?
Yeah the time of year that your sales numbers shift from red to black.
The Schwinn Phantom was a new model for a new decade. The 1950s.
The built the bikes in 1949 so that they would be ready for the end of the year sales crush, so that kids could get the new models for Christmas.
You can call them 1949 models, because that's what the serial number says, but all of the advertising literature says they are 1950 models just like that brand new Ford truck I saw today.

Back