When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

-
That wouldn't be enough to nail up the coffin. Only one May Phantom will seal the deal? What if it's a restored piece? I'm sure you know there were many Phantoms built after the fact when everyone was trying to cash in on the craze. There's been lots of November #'s and some Oct. #'s So there should be many with earlier numbers if it was a mid year release. Where are they? I thought for sure there would have been hundreds of pre September SN Phantoms popping up with everyone saying they have a 1949 Phantom. I'll be keeping an eye out on all the so called "49" phantoms looking for numbers earlier than Oct.
Yes, one original May '49 Phantom would seal the deal for me. V/r Shawn

That wouldn't be enough to nail up the coffin. Only one May Phantom will seal the deal? What if it's a restored piece? I'm sure you know there were many Phantoms built after the fact when everyone was trying to cash in on the craze. There's been lots of November #'s and some Oct. #'s So there should be many with earlier numbers if it was a mid year release. Where are they? I thought for sure there would have been hundreds of pre September SN Phantoms popping up with everyone saying they have a 1949 Phantom. I'll be keeping an eye out on all the so called "49" phantoms looking for numbers earlier than Oct.
Well, then you would have to go back to post #34 LOL, you haven't met the burden of proof that my claim is not valid.

Well, then you would have to go back to post #34 LOL, you haven't met the burden of proof that my claim is not valid.

And nobody can answer my question. And hearsay is disallowed.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

The new 1954 Jaguar also had an early release in late 1953. It too was available right before Christmas 1953 but the dealers had to put in their orders pronto.
The Jag ad sent to dealers. Notice the side note along with the print in the bottom right box. As for the so called 49 Phantom, it was probably introduced in the same manor and just early enough for Christmas sales.

1953_jagad.jpg

1953_jagad.jpg

the 49's came with pinch pan mesinger saddle not a phantom style

The bikes are always built the year before so they can have them for sale the following year.

NOT SURE WHERE YOU GET YOUR HISTORY, BUT THE WORKED AS MUCH OVERTIME AS POSSIBLE IN OCT - DEC FOR XMAS SALES. READ UP ON THE FACTORYS THAT BUILT THESE... ITS NO WHERE NEAR A YEAR BEFORE... ITS LIKE CARS WITH NEW MODEL YEARS...AND BIKES MADE IN TRANSITION MAY HAVE HAD BOTH YEARS PARTS UNTIL GONE

the 49's came with pinch pan mesinger saddle not a phantom style

In many cases the first run of new a model had parts that were not used throughout the model year production and this is understandable. If there was an actual 1949 model year Phantom the serial number with a stamping date should have at least May/July dated serial number. The new year Schwinn models started with bikes wearing a serial number that was dated in the last quarter. A bike with an October dated serial number very well could have been on a bike with an early release before Christmas but that serial number does not constitute the idea that it's that years model.

In almost all cases the new year Schwinn models started with bikes wearing a November serial number.

Back