When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was There Really A 1949 Model Phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1950 ad...

ad1.JPG

The question should be, was there a 1949 catalog from Arnold Schwinn & Co. that showed the availability of a Phantom series bike?

Here is a May 23, and April 18,1949 Schwinn list for Salt Lake Hardware Co and absolutely no mention of a Phantom. Guess there were no actual 1949 Phantoms, just 1950 models with late 49 serial numbers. This is the only 1949 list I can find.

View attachment 681286
View attachment 681287

View attachment 681288

View attachment 681289
Hey bro! What I find interesting about this, is that it shows that the autocycle bikes had Cord Balloon tires! Just tge other day we were discussinghow we couldn't find any literature earlier than the 1952 catalogs mentioning the Schwinn Cord tires. I know that these lists say, "Cord Balloon", but the Cord Balloon and Schwinn Cord Balloon tires would be the same, right?

Hey bro! What I find interesting about this, is that it shows that the autocycle bikes had Cord Balloon tires! Just tge other day we were discussinghow we couldn't find any literature earlier than the 1952 catalogs mentioning the Schwinn Cord tires. I know that these lists say, "Cord Balloon", but the Cord Balloon and Schwinn Cord Balloon tires would be the same, right?

Not necessarily. V/r Shawn

Not necessarily. V/r Shawn

Is there any literature or any proof the Schwinn Cord Tires were around before 52? If the Cord Balloon mentioned on that list is not necessarily a Schwinn Cord, I wonder what other tire would it be?

I think you are correct. No facts yet proving there were Phantoms produced for the 1949 model year.

It seems that everyone believes there were actually1949 model Phantoms due to the fact they had a late 4th quarter 1949 serial number. Schwinn's model year changeover usually started with bikes wearing November and later serial numbers, and in some cases slightly earlier than November. The 1950 Phantom apparently had an early release or debut in late 49 for Christmas sales and technically they were not a 1949 model. The earliest real Phantom serial number I've personally come across had a very late October stamping. If anyone has some info that would verify a legitimate 1949 model Phantom please share it.

A couple brand new models that had an early release, and I'm sure there were a few more.
1954 Jaguar ballooner
1957 Jaguar middleweight
A good friend of mine (rip) had a Schwinn Phantom that he received from his parents for Christmas 1949. I saw the bike, a black Phantom.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

i dissagree with the frame number being stamped ahead of time,the number is used for a numder of reasons,one being able to track quality vcontrol,its a coman procedeure in mfr,cars have a frame serial number for the year f the car,ge it eatly or mid year change

Back