When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this 55 Corvette really Opal red?

-

Mang

On Training Wheels
Hi folks - complete newbie here, so forgive me if this has been asked a gajillion times. Was riding my bike down a country road the other day and a super nice lady flagged me down and asked if I wanted an old bike out of her garage. Not being a collector or anything, just a recreational rider of "modern" bikes, I nicely rejected. The next dayI kind of thought what am I crazy? Of course I'll take a look and hear her story. It's now in my garage with a great tale of how it was aquired by her when just 10 yrs old. I've read on the forums that Opal Red can fade to a kind of gold but for some reason this looks green to me - even the seat. Also, not quite sure if I should do anything with it other than enjoy looking at it and enjoy the occasional ride

check the serial number on the frame by the left rear axle,might be a late 55 with 56 handle bars and brake levers,nice find

Cool bike and story to go with it! Yup, that's the notorious fade color. If it were mine I would polish up the metal surfaces, give it a tune-up and ride it. I have not seen that shifter graphic before. Bars are probably not original but who cares really? Have fun with that one. That style seat, even in that condition, are pretty hard to come by.

Jay

The '55 bars are narrow, and I don't like them. I had a love / hate relationship with my '55 before I switched to Northroad style bars. If you want a less upright posture, I highly recommend. You can also flip the seat clamp over to set the seat back about two inches.

I've not seen that shifter logo, either. Should have grey cable, not white, so it was replaced somewhere along the line. Brake levers are later, too. Grips look right.

Don't bother with trying to get everything correct. Even starting with the right seat, getting the right rack and headlight will be more than the bike's worth. Enjoy it as is - it's a great rider. If you service everything, and it still feels like it's a bear to ride, you can replace the 18t cog with something larger. You can get them new from Sturmey Archer, or Shimano Nexus will work as well.

Thanks for the good info. Just noticed that only one gear works. When shifting the other two, just free-wheels. Is the seat original, is it leather?

Serial says:

Congrats! Your bike is an original Chicago Schwinn.
Unfortunately the serial number you entered was used twice by Schwinn meaning there are two possible dates for your bike...

Built: 06/15 to 06/30 of 1955 or...

Built: 11/01 to 11/04 of 1957.

The story really is great, I got more than just a bike.

Nice to see you lost the funky rack that was on it.

Completely different bike and member. ;)

Thanks for the good info. Just noticed that only one gear works. When shifting the other two, just free-wheels. Is the seat original, is it leather?

Serial says:

Congrats! Your bike is an original Chicago Schwinn.
Unfortunately the serial number you entered was used twice by Schwinn meaning there are two possible dates for your bike...

Built: 06/15 to 06/30 of 1955 or...

Built: 11/01 to 11/04 of 1957.

The story really is great, I got more than just a bike.

That serial look up is great. Never fails to fail. lol There is no doubt your Corvette is a 55, and the seat is actually vinyl.

Back