When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water bottle mount on an oversized downtube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

philthewrench

Look Ma, No Hands!
Does anyone know of a source for water bottle cage clamps for a 28.6mm (1 1/4") down tube? I am restoring a Teledyne Titan, and it has no mounting holes, and oversized tubing. I don't really intend to ride this bike a lot, but I want to have a water bottle mount on it. I don't really want to do a handlebar mount. Any leads would be appreciated! TIA

Last edited:
-----

thank you for this excellent question

i have one also and have never considered this question

it is one of the ones assembled by Spence Wolf of the Cupterino Bike Shop

do recall that Shimano made oversize brake cable clips to accommodate the Teledyne's oversize top tube

-----

A pretty ingenious solution here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at this one, and there are three objections I have to it: 1) It is basically a hose clamp, and it's ugly. 2) The clamping bolt is on the side, and may potentially rub against the shift cable. 3) It's basically a hose clamp, and it's ugly. Oh, did I mention that it's ugly? But seriously, thanks for that. I may actually end up deciding it is the best solution after all. Maybe the industrial look of the hose clamp might work on something like the Titan, maybe with an early American Classic cage? Opinions? Please let me hear the vintage crowd's thoughts on that...

Last edited:
I've been researching more, and I read that Minoura once made a nice stainless clamp for bottle cages in 31.8mm. They also make or made one for standard 1 1/8" tubing. If anyone locates a pair of the 31.8 or something similar, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe these variation:

Maybe these variation:

The DMR and Velo Orange are probably the best modern solutions, along with the King Cage. All of them would work, but wouldn't look quite period-appropriate enough for me. They also share the possibility of interfering with the shift cables a bit. The Minoura would no doubt work well too, but just looks too modern. I do appreciate all the suggestions given here, though. Thanks!

Maybe like this 28.6

Yeah no real elegant solutions I know of. The first King versions the threaded boss was tacked right to the worm gear housing. My guess is they had production or durability issues. I have those mounts and they worked well for me for thousands of miles. And you get used to it, like ugly modern sub divisions lol.

Back