When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water bottle mount on an oversized downtube

-
Yeah no real elegant solutions I know of. The first King versions the threaded boss was tacked right to the worm gear housing. My guess is they had production or durability issues. I have those mounts and they worked well for me for thousands of miles. And you get used to it, like ugly modern sub divisions lol.
Any thoughts about the worm gear housing that is now on the side interfering with the shift cable? I guess it probably wouldn't really be a problem, but might rub it a little... what do you think?

This is what I use.

Any thoughts about the worm gear housing that is now on the side interfering with the shift cable? I guess it probably wouldn't really be a problem, but might rub it a little... what do you think?

See if you can get the measurement from stud to the housing and mock something up? Too many variables to basically guess if it will work for you. In my application I use them on a seat tube.

Rubbing? Probably not an issue if it does. In fact I’d rather have that then a cable vibrating and making a bunch of noise!

Last edited:
I bought this "Elite VIP Cage Mount". It looks promising. It also looks like the least bulky one. I've not installed it yet, so you can take this "recommendation" with a grain of salt. Tightens with screwdriver, then you can cut the tails off.

I'm all ears for other suggestions.

DSC_1866.jpg

0123301.jpg

I do alot of refurb to order for practical commuters ... oftens expats that appreciate vintage , and want a daily commuter

I would go with velo orange. ( personal choice, i just love the way the things they offer are finished/thought through

elite look fine and appear to have dull finish or pig metal tone , which may be more in line with the style of your bike.

I've used problem solvers , and similar above with plastic cut offs

Bear in mind, once you have a bottle in here its not gonna be a very visible feature .

you can also retro fit a brazed and tap solution. that's the most elegant ..... or find some flexibility between location ( downtube vs seat tube, versus rear of saddle mount used by tri athletes. )

here is a problems solvers installed on a french tubing size , some folks strongly prefer the cage spaced / stands off the tube away from the tube for even on modern bikes , i dont know why , but Ive heard it more than once.

Maybe just pull the trigger on elite or one of the above , you can always switch it later ... I bet once you are riding hydrated the appearance concerns will fall away with the bottle in there 1576436

. Costs $12 -$20 bucks to find out ?

Ps ... i keep a milk crate full of spray paints ; flat aluminum color , hammered metal colors from Rustoleum , and bike and auto colors ... whatever i can pick up( often free or garage sale ) to have a color pallet ....

you can shoot (whichever) whole kit hung from a loop of florist wire so you can get round to allsides to get an old alloy look or to dissapear it into the bikes frame or accent colors, most dry 15 mins quick , some not .

I came across these today:
I think they look pretty good. Not necessarily "vintage", but not bad. What do y'all think?

I like it. Trouble is I can't seem to find where to buy them, except in Germany, which I suppose is doable, but you would think someone in North America would have them. That is the same brand (Elite) as the ones I posted, just a different model.

Back