When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We just bought a Spaceliner!!!

-
Left Out The RB....

Yep, somebody must have changed it at some point. That's a bummer. Make sure you try to find the teardrop reflector too (probably more important to get that as it's completely missing. Finding rebuilt 2-speed hubs isn't too difficult, as they were pretty common. Try Memory Lane Classics; they often have rebuilt red-band two-speed kickback hubs. Also, search eBay for the reflector. I see them come up for auction all the time, in new condition. There's one seller in particular that seems to always be selling them.

Long ago I posted an explanation of the various Bendix single and two-speed hubs, but I have no idea where. Fortunately I saved my original notes, so here is explanation that unravels the mystery of the single red band Bendix hub, and the triple red, yellow and blue band hubs (2-speeds). I also have maintenance manuals for all of these.

BENDIX HUB EXPLANATION

Single-Speed Hubs
Original Model Single Speed Coaster Brake
- No colored bands on hub
- Manufactured from 1946 to April 1961
- Fixed gear 1:1 ratio (1 sprocket turn = 1 hub turn)

Model RB-2 Single Speed Coaster Brake
- Identified by a single Red band on hub
- Manufactured beginning in April 1961. Basically an updated Original Model, with many parts interchangeable with the Original Model.
- Fixed gear 1:1 ratio (1 sprocket turn = 1 hub turn)

Automatic Two-Speed Hubs
Automatic Two-Speed Hubs were first introduced in 1962, and are identified by three colored bands – either Red, Yellow or Blue.

The triple Red Band hub was made from 1962-1964 and had a low gear added. It was discontinued with the introduction of the triple Yellow Band hub.
- Red Band low gear ratio is 1:0.67 (1 sprocket turn = 0.67 hub turn)
- Red Band high gear ratio is 1:1 (1 sprocket turn = 1 hub turn) the same as the fixed gear ratio on the single-speed hubs.

The triple Yellow and Blue Band hubs were made from 1965-1969 after the triple Red Band was phased out, and had different gear ratios from each other.

The triple Yellow Band hub was an updated triple Red Band, having some interchangeable parts with the triple Red Band as well as the same gear ratios.
- Yellow Band low gear ratio is 1:0.67 (same as Red Band)
- Yellow Band high gear ratio is 1:0 (same as Red Band)

The triple Blue Band hub was geared completely differently than the triple Red or Yellow Band hubs. Its low gear provided the same ‘fixed’ ratio (1:1) as the high gear of the Red or Yellow band hubs, but its high gear created a hub rotation greater than its sprocket rotation, and it was referred to as “Overdrive”.
- Blue Band low gear ratio is 1:1 (same as the high gear of the triple Red & Yellow Band hubs, or the fixed gear ratio of the single Red Band hub)
- Blue Band high gear ratio is 1:1.5 (1 sprocket turn = 1.5 hub turns)

They were made from '61-'63. It was the first to use the single red band on the shell and still used the "keyed" brake shoes. The arm looked the same as the previous model.The RB-2 was made from '63-'70 it too had a single red band on the shell,the keys were cast as part of the "expanders" and the arm had RB-2 stamped onto it.

They were made from '61-'63. It was the first to use the single red band on the shell and still used the "keyed" brake shoes. The arm looked the same as the previous model.The RB-2 was made from '63-'70 it too had a single red band on the shell,the keys were cast as part of the "expanders" and the arm had RB-2 stamped onto it.
You're absolutely right. I pasted an incomplete/incorrect version from my notes.

Back