When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Fender Ornament?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Alienbaby17

Finally riding a big boys bike
A friend of mine got this for me at a swap meet some time ago. He thought it might be an old fender ornament for a bicycle. It appears to be some sort of plated plastic. It has two threaded mounting holes on the bottom. I think it's supposed to be a rocket or spaceship possibly? Anyone seen these before or have an idea as to its approximate age?
If I'm going to put it on a bike I'd like for it to be approximately the same age as the bicycle.
Any ideas?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Probably 1960's if it's plastic, in my opinion. Sorry for not being more helpful, looks like a cool ornament. The green reflector will be on your right as seen when your on the seat.

I have never seen one like that. Might be European? Are you sure it is plastic? Are lenses plastic? Are 2 underside pieces under reflectors broken off? I know, too many questions. It looks like it has pitting. If plastic, I am guessing late 1950's early 1960's. Not sure of bike it would originally go on. Looks good though.

I have never seen one like that. Might be European? Are you sure it is plastic? Are lenses plastic? Are 2 underside pieces under reflectors broken off? I know, too many questions. It looks like it has pitting. If plastic, I am guessing late 1950's early 1960's. Not sure of bike it would originally go on. Looks good though.

I'm pretty certain it is plastic. The "nose" of it has most of the plating worn off and it is a whitish color underneath. If I hold it to a bright light I can see some light coming through. I believe the colored lenses are also plastic. I don't think the pieces under the reflectors are broken off, I think they are simply made like that to hold a little nubbin on the bottom of the colored pieces to locate and hold them in place.

Ha! That's it! Good memory! I think I might have even looked at that ad before and not noticed it.

Do you guys think it's aftermarket? I looked up some other Columbias and didn't see it on any.

I think it's neat that even though it appears to be designed to look like a space ship the red on port and green on starboard is a boat reference.

I think it's neat that even though it appears to be designed to look like a space ship the red on port and green on starboard is a boat reference.

I thought the same thing. I was almost afraid to post it in case it was some obvious boat thing i didn't recognize.

Back