Weird looking TOC bike....

Discussion in 'Antique Bicycles Pre-1933' started by IngoMike, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. #1 Posted Nov 29, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

The local John Steinbeck Museum on Cannery Row closed and I ended up buying 15 large scale panels of miscellaneous old black and white photos of Historical Monterey. There is one picture of a bicycle, and it is a weird looking frame. Check it out...
    IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8646.JPG
    Funky....

2. #2 Posted Nov 30, 2017

It's a kid's bike and designed so the little rider can reach the handlebars. Does look weird though!

bricycle and dnc1 like this.
  3. #3 Posted Nov 30, 2017

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

Steinbeck is one of the Greats!

New Mexico Brant and dnc1 like this.
  4. #4 Posted Nov 30, 2017

What a great purchase. How big are the panels and what are you going to do with them?

bricycle likes this.
  5. #5 Posted Nov 30, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Looks like a tall frame and a short kid.

Mike

bricycle likes this.
  6. #6 Posted Nov 30, 2017

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial

Sprung fork with different sized wheels too!:sunglasses:

bricycle likes this.
  7. #7 Posted Nov 30, 2017

Those prints are fantastic.
    Cannery Row is a great historical experience. Visited from Canada last year.

bricycle likes this.
  8. #8 Posted Nov 30, 2017

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

Wow Mike great EYE dude!

fordmike65 likes this.
  9. #9 Posted Nov 30, 2017

I like the really short top tube and down tube, and the little chainring. Good eye on the sprung fork, must have been a well to do family, and thank you for confirming the different wheel size, I was thinking they were different sizes, but my eyes were not completely sure.
    I ended up with 15 panels; 6 of them are 4' x 8' x 3/4" hardwood that weighs 72# each, these are stupid big and heavy so I will be cutting them down to manageable sizes; a couple 2' x 8' x 3/4", which will be trimmed, and the rest are manageable 4' x 6' x 1/8" hardboard. I am going to be mounting as many of the the most interesting ones as possible in my loft entry space like wallpaper.
    I was only interested and initially purchased two panels, the bicycle panel being the main attraction, but the meuseum Curator wanted me to have them all, so I took her lowball offer for all the panels. I had to rent a trailer to get them to my place, but it was worth the effort, they are currently airing out in my warehouse garage and will be cut down to size this weekend. She had a lot of first edition books, antique furniture, and a Steinbeck typewriter from the Cottage, but I think he hand wrote most of the good stuff.
    fullsizeoutput_32d.jpeg

New Mexico Brant likes this.
  10. #10 Posted Dec 1, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

Hey Mike, do not tell me they replaced the Steinbeck museum with a video arcade or a T-shirt shop. Please say it isn't so.

11. #11 Posted Dec 1, 2017

Nope, the building was sold so the Museum got the 90 day notice, just like I am waiting for. The new owners are nice enough, but they are going to turn the building into two Condo's, I talked to them and their interest is in the $. The Museum was offered some space down the street, but the landlords are assholes, and want your first born, a personal guarantee, a buyout clause, and a percentage of sales. The landlords own most of Cannery Row and I would think that a Steinbeck Museum would be a draw, or at least a novelty, but not when the $ of square footage is involved.

boardhoarder likes this.
  12. #12 Posted Dec 3, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

I'd give you a Like for this post, because it's a good one, but damn, it's such a shame. The greed never fails to amaze me.

gkeep and IngoMike like this.
  13. #13 Posted Dec 5, 2017

Really sorry to hear this. I know his grand niece, her grandmother was his sister. She and her husband are restoring the cottage in Carmel where he wrote. It was her Great Grandparents vacation/beach cottage built turn of the century or so. She says it was really just a hunting/fishermans shack but the family kept adding rooms over the decades. According to her they have a closet full of signed first additions and when they need some cash for work on the house they put a couple up for auction with rare book dealers.

She says the worst part is going down to work on it on a weekend and going out front in her bathrobe with a cup of coffee at 8am to get the Sunday paper and the yard is full of a bus load of Japanese Tourists taking her picture with bed head and bathrobe.;) Wonder if any of the old family bikes are still around the house!

Gary

TR6SC likes this.