When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Serial Number (Real or Not )

-
Hi @altapat Alvin.

In summary, the frame is probably correct, just misstamped.

If the chainwheel has not been replaced, then it's the earliest 'Sweetheart' type so far recorded.

Some of the parts, other than the frame, may be original to the bike, such as the badge, the chainwheel.

It is a restoration with several incorrect parts.

Does your friend have any 'pre restoration' photos?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian
Unfortunately there are no pre-restoration photos.

Indeed there are many non G519 parts. Chainring is like a Schwinn sweetheart. Wheels, seat, seatpost and fenders are not also correct.

This was sold last week and I don’t know who owns it now.
-Alvin

5D83E1A5-B7DD-4DD3-BBAA-0177FAACD2EA.jpeg

The chain adjusters look (albeit blurry photo) like they might have
a reducer threaded in, with smaller hex head bolts being used. Or it
could be just mix and match nuts and not reducers. I guess the
reducer theory would be rather random and unlikely.
Would need a better close-up photo of that to be sure.

They look like bolts .

Hi @altapat Alvin,

Thanks for the followup.

You are right, the 'Sweetheart' ring is not the type usually seen on thses bikes, and so is a replacement. I will change my records accordingly. It is an interesting coincidence that it really does come just at the changeover from Coffin to Sweetheart rings. I suspect (though I have no written proof) that the change coincides with the issue of the third contract for MG serialled bikes.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi @altapat Alvin,

Thanks for the followup.

You are right, the 'Sweetheart' ring is not the type usually seen on thses bikes, and so is a replacement. I will change my records accordingly. It is an interesting coincidence that it really does come just at the changeover from Coffin to Sweetheart rings. I suspect (though I have no written proof) that the change coincides with the issue of the third contract for MG serialled bikes.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hey Andrian,

How many MGs were produced in total ? And how many Daytons? Do you have documents to support the numbers?

Thanks,
Alvin

Hi Alvin,

The staright answer is no, the exact number is not known, but rough estimates can be made.

That's a series of difficult questions, and it may be that people such as @johan willaert are able to answer it better. I will put what I think/know, and I'm happy to discuss.

The US Government printed details of all contracts over $50,000 at the end of the war, so some of the information comes from there. Unfortunatly, they quote cost and not number of bicycles, so unlees you know the individual cost of the bicycles (we don't) the information is useful only to give general size of contract, contract number, and the dates they ran. Also, earlier contracts may include set up costs, so will appear larger than they are.

It means also that small (less than $50,000) will not show up, and we know that some military bikes were produced in small numbers, such as this USMC bike:

Also threr was a1943 order for 500 Huffman Model 81-81 Folding Bicycles which may be the same as the Huffman Model HF-777 Folding Bicycle

See Johan's page here for more details:

Johann says that Lend-lease bikes of unknown models and makes were supplied to:

China 2,645
Russia 11,205

Note Lend Lease came into effect on March 11th 1941.

I'm not sure where his information came from, but he has a nice webpage on the subject here:

The contract details below come from the Smithsonian.
1644054964828.png

1644055049471.png

1644054982848.png

1644055013103.png

So it seems for Huffman, there are three discrete large contracts

294ORD2341 $399,000 from 4/43 to 11/43
294ORD2594 $96,000 from 7/43 to 11/43
33008ORD159 $70,000 from 10/43 to 3/44

Alvin, I'm out of time for today, you can see how big a subject it is. I will return to it later in the week, and I guess there may be other contributions.

Best regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian and Johan for your answers with details and documentations.

Now that this question has been answered, no doubt that more and more bicycle collectors and enthusiasts are madly looking for this.

Cheers,
Alvin

Back