When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird X on Wasp?

-
Nice old Schwinn. So how much for the X bike? Razin.

Dose the X let the welder know it is the left side?

Read Marks last sentence in post #17. He said the X is on both sides. So to me the X would designate a balloon chain stay. You can see the two indents from the stamping in one of his pictures.

This only took a few minutes. asking the question; Where does Schwinn use the word "Extra" that is likely what that or those X's represent?

1960 catalog: "Extra built-in Strength"

View attachment 1188617

So is the plug part of the eXtra built in strength? and what the X stands for?
1589047352654.png

OK, I just checked the rest of of my later model Wasps and they all have the X's on both stays. All are Heavy Duty Wasps (do I have too many?). The red is the 1962, the 2 blacks are 1963 and 1964. So it looks like the X's stayed until the end of the ballooners run. Would be interesting to know when they started with this.

IMG_1173.JPG

OK, I just checked the rest of of my later model Wasps and they all have the X's on both stays. All are Heavy Duty Wasps (do I have too many?). The red is the 1962, the 2 blacks are 1963 and 1964. So it looks like the X's stayed until the end of the ballooners run. Would be interesting to know when they started with this.

View attachment 1191963

I'll take a guess and say they started at the beginning of the 55 model production. And I still say the X was for identification of a balloon chain stay.

I'll take a guess and say they started at the beginning of the 55 model production. And I still say the X was for identification of a balloon chain stay.

As I said above, I checked 2 57 model Wasps that I have and the X's weren't on either bike. So the question is did it start in 58? The only balloon tire models available in 58 aside from the Cycle Truck were also the Wasp and the Phantom so it's plausible, but did they start later? I did check my 58 Cycle Truck and it didn't have it but it could be that this was confined to the cantilever models. I don't have a 58 Wasp or Phantom to check unfortunately. Guess I need to get shopping after this virus thing is over :).

I have a 62 Wasp, 65 Cycle truck and a 67 Cycle truck. All three have the wider/ballooner seat stays and all three have an X stamped on both chain stays. Good to know about the frames being the same for the wasps. I got it as just a frame so I have no idea which it was.

Back