Welcome Schwinners!

Discussion in 'All Things Schwinn' started by sm2501, Jan 5, 2011.

1. #1 Posted Jan 5, 2011

CABE owner Staff Member System Administrator

Interesting thing about the old bike hobby is there are collectors that are all about Schwinn and little else, and there are collectors that are interested in everything but Schwinn. Well Schwinn guys, here's a place to hang your hat and maybe let loose of some of those trade secrets!

barnyguey and Nashman like this.
  2. #2 Posted Jan 5, 2011

I live for the CABE

Just wanted to say hello! I'm open to all bikes of all kinds, but somehow I became the "Schwinn Kid" within the past few months (although I'm only a kid at heart now).

IMAG0186-1.jpg
    IMAG0198-1.jpg
    IMAG0092-1.jpg
    IMAG0082-1.jpg
    IMAG0060-1.jpg
    IMG_0042-1.jpg
    IMGP1719-1.jpg

You're exactly right Scott, some guys are really into Schwinns and some guys avoid them and prefer anything else, probably because Schwinns are so common they're regarded as being so vanilla.
    I do look forward to getting to work on a Schwinn though because I must contend that the material quality was so high that it's fairly easy to breath new life into rusty old parts, I really like that part.

(And yes, I know that black Spitfire is a Frankensteined mess, I'm actively looking for a correct chainguard and straight bar tank!!!) :)

3. #3 Posted Jan 5, 2011

Moderator Staff Member

didn't expect this one good idea

4. #4 Posted Jan 5, 2011

I live for the CABE

The wife and I are celebrating our third Schwinnter.
    Talewinds it looks like you might need to throw a few three speeds into the mix :)
    Here are a few of our current Schwinns, the Hollywood trike was the first old bike related thing that we got together.
    10407bikes0071-1.jpg
    10407bikes008-1.jpg
    10407bikes087-1.jpg
    10407bikes092-1.jpg
    DXwithtires0021-1.jpg
    89081741-1.jpg
    8908177-1.jpg

Oilit, Thonyv1974_ and jason morton like this.
  5. #5 Posted Jan 5, 2011

I live for the CABE

and my all time favorite rider with the working dynamo
    WaterTowerPark0041-1.jpg
    WaterTowerPark001-1.jpg

Oilit likes this.
  6. #6 Posted Jan 5, 2011

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

Wow!
    Thanks, Scott!

Though, I love bicycles in all forms new and old from around the World, my first love, was a Schwinn.
    So, when I got into this crazy hobby, of course it had to be a Schwinn, and I never looked back.
    Now I've had to rent a storage unit, which totally goes against my grain, and I live in fear that the Auction Hunters will be picking through my stuff.
    I can't seem to stop. Everytime I turn on the computer, I see a bike or a part that I just can't live without.
    I guess recovery starts with acceptance.
    Hello, everyone.
    My name is Marty, and I am a certified Schwinnaholic.

7. #7 Posted Jan 5, 2011

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

It seems we need to start a therapeutic support group :)

8. #8 Posted Jan 5, 2011

Finally riding a big boys bike

Awesome! Nice addition to an already great site! Partial to Schwinns, but starting to branch off.

9. #9 Posted Jan 5, 2011

I live for the CABE

4 of a kind
    FourofaKind-1.jpg

Thonyv1974_ likes this.
  10. #10 Posted Jan 6, 2011

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Good call, as there are a lot of Schwinn specific questions out there! And, from what I hear, the "official" Schwinn forum is fading out. I never went there due to the drama I always heard about! While I have all different brands of bikes, my first old bike is a 1956 Schwinn Corvette that I bought for $2.50 at a garage sale in 1980. I was 9 at the time, still have it, and about all the parts I need to bring it back to near factory goodness! Now all I need is the spare time....

11. #11 Posted Jan 7, 2011

Wore out three sets of tires already!

Timeless

Many Schwinn designs were timeless, which have kept their appeal to this day, even though some were fairly conservative. This lead to a broad appeal over the years, in addition to the advertising campaign drilled into the public's head "Schwinn Stands for Quality" which Joe Public believes to this day on all the old Schwinns.

I also believe the quality of paint and chrome, especially the forged parts, and even some of the stamped parts, make them easier to resurrect. Plus the frames were fairly well constructed with engineered lugs. I have beat on many trying to bring them back, and wonder myself how any kid could have bent it this bad in the first place. I've straightened two dozen over the years and have yet to destroy one. I've cracked them and re-welded, and they are still rideable now.

The universal nature of many parts, and the deep parts inventories that existed in many of the stores, continue to help supply the hobby even still today. The shear numbers of bikes distributed in the heydays makes Schwinn a universally accepted collectable ride today...who didn't have or know someone who had one?

53 panther1.JPG

12. #12 Posted Jan 7, 2011

Now all we need is a Schwinn only section on fleabay........

Thonyv1974_ likes this.
  13. #13 Posted Jan 7, 2011
    jwm
    jwm

Wore out three sets of tires already!

A Schwinn hooked me on this hobby, and Schwinns are still my ride of choice. I do have an eye out for one pair of non-Schwinn bikes for the fleet someday, but for now I'm happily strung out on Chicago steel. Thanks for the new section!

JWM

14. #14 Posted Jan 18, 2011

well i was always was a schwinn guy and hear are my schwinns the one with the motor is how i got hooked on vintage iron because that crappy bike with the motor was so poorly built. the one that is hanging is still in progress... the frankin bike with the lamp is my rider it's a 80's model with a 3 speed hub and speed shifter mixed matched parts from other schwinns!!! (except the seat)

Attached Files:

#14 chriscokid, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  15. #15 Posted Feb 8, 2011

New to vintage bikes. My experience has been with vintage BMX, but I just acquired 2 bikes. 1 is a Schwinn Built BF Goodrich Spitfire (I think) the other is a Schwinn ladies Breeze. The breeze appears to be complete and the Spitfire is rough. So, I am in need of finding more info and parts on the so-called spitfire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16. #16 Posted Apr 6, 2011

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly or not - I am new on here - I'm curious about the blue ladies bike you have pictured. Can you tell me what model/year it is? Thank you

17. #17 Posted May 21, 2011

Looks like the blue panther is now pieced out on ebay

18. #18 Posted May 21, 2011

On Training Wheels

It is NICE to be here.

Dave

19. #19 Posted May 23, 2011

I live for the CABE

Schwinn deseas are, Schwinnaholic, Schwinnstupid, Schwinninsane, Schwinnloco.........

20. #20 Posted Jun 13, 2011

I have been trying to attach vintage Schwinn lights & speedometer to my '54 Panther.
    Anyone got a link to setting up the ole Schwinn Approved French Speedometer/Odometer?
    The unit itself is gorgeous old chrome, and reads 3137 miles.
    While we're at it: how in the H%*# do I remove my handlebars & stem, to install the Schwinn Approved headlight.
    I've done my damndest to carefully break it down, WD40 etc. The stem & bars will not budge loose! AHRRRGH…