When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome Schwinners!

-
I'm Tony and my Wife and I have a Schwinn problem called Schwannism. We have a couple of non schwinns but are crazy about all balloon tire ones especially prewar. Here's a picture of my wife with her favorite, 1941 schwinn built Chicago cycle supply Cadillac.

20170315_203610692-1.jpg

Hello all, I recently came across this schwinn bicycle. It caught my eye immediately.... i had never seen a bike that looked the way it did... it was very "old school."
Im only 26 years old... and a beginner vintage bikes lol.

I have... what it looks to be a 1982 schwinn sports tourer. Its marked with
Chicago 60639 as well as made in Taiwan.
The frame has a serial number reading "g0881"

The crank, sproket and gears look to be made in japan... anyways i was hoping to find a schwinn conesiouer on this forum... and figure out what it is that i have come across.

Please pm me... or text me at

(480) 999-6900. My name is travis.. im in glendale. arizona

Screenshot_20170417-174004.png

Screenshot_20170417-173957.png

Screenshot_20170417-174000.png

Timeless

Many Schwinn designs were timeless, which have kept their appeal to this day, even though some were fairly conservative. This lead to a broad appeal over the years, in addition to the advertising campaign drilled into the public's head "Schwinn Stands for Quality" which Joe Public believes to this day on all the old Schwinns.

I also believe the quality of paint and chrome, especially the forged parts, and even some of the stamped parts, make them easier to resurrect. Plus the frames were fairly well constructed with engineered lugs. I have beat on many trying to bring them back, and wonder myself how any kid could have bent it this bad in the first place. I've straightened two dozen over the years and have yet to destroy one. I've cracked them and re-welded, and they are still rideable now.

The universal nature of many parts, and the deep parts inventories that existed in many of the stores, continue to help supply the hobby even still today. The shear numbers of bikes distributed in the heydays makes Schwinn a universally accepted collectable ride today...who didn't have or know someone who had one?

View attachment 16011
That Panther is classy man!
Timeless

Many Schwinn designs were timeless, which have kept their appeal to this day, even though some were fairly conservative. This lead to a broad appeal over the years, in addition to the advertising campaign drilled into the public's head "Schwinn Stands for Quality" which Joe Public believes to this day on all the old Schwinns.

I also believe the quality of paint and chrome, especially the forged parts, and even some of the stamped parts, make them easier to resurrect. Plus the frames were fairly well constructed with engineered lugs. I have beat on many trying to bring them back, and wonder myself how any kid could have bent it this bad in the first place. I've straightened two dozen over the years and have yet to destroy one. I've cracked them and re-welded, and they are still rideable now.

The universal nature of many parts, and the deep parts inventories that existed in many of the stores, continue to help supply the hobby even still today. The shear numbers of bikes distributed in the heydays makes Schwinn a universally accepted collectable ride today...who didn't have or know someone who had one?

View attachment 16011
Classy Panther man!

Hi,
I'm new to the site and the Schwinn world. I picked up a Schwinn Whizzer last week and excited to get started on the restoration. The seller said it was a 1942, but I figured I would run the numbers by you guys. Number under the frame A99194. Engine # H 127338.

20170616_155005.jpg

20170616_155141.jpg

20170616_155304.jpg

He was only off by 10 years--1952. You should probably post in the motorized section to get a better response. V/r Shawn

Back