When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome to the tricycle forum

-
Looking for any info on this tricycle ridden by my Pop in this photo probably taken about 1934.
View attachment 1266608
Judging by the shape of the head badge and badge screw placement, I believe your dad was riding a Gendron Pioneer tricycle. Was this trike passed down from an older sibling or other family member? I ask because the rat trap style pedals would indicate the tricycle is several years older than the mid-1930s, more like late teens to early 1920s. The seat having short springs would also be an indication of the earlier date.

Dave

Last edited:
Judging by the shape of the head badge and badge screw placement, I believe your dad was riding a Gendron Pioneer tricycle. Was this trike passed down from an older sibling or other family member? I ask because the rat trap style pedals would indicate the tricycle is several years older than the mid-1930s, more like late teens to early 1920s. The seat having short springs would also be an indication of the earlier date.

Dave
Thanks. That makes sense. It's probable that the trike was a hand-me-down from his brother who was ten years older.

I'm new here and can't find how to make new post so forgive me if I do this wrong but I'm adding it here. I collect and resell mostly art and antiques but I just bought this tricycle. Can anyone help me ID maker, model, time period produced, approx. value and anything else interesting about it? It will be for sale once I learn more about it. I can't find any stickers, badges or makers marks anywhere. Size is 21" T x 16" W x 28" long. Ask any questions. Thanks all.

20200919_192843.jpg

20200919_192854.jpg

20200919_192904.jpg

20200919_192909.jpg

20200919_192931.jpg

The design feature that positively identifies the maker is the open, tear drop shaped holes in the rear step plate. This is a Hedstrom tricycle. I'm guessing very late 1930s to 1940s. From the outline of where the head badge was located, it is probably one of their Tubecraft trike models. http://www.collectorsjournal.com/co...cle_c4f9c732-d5ff-11e8-b156-e3bf299214c4.html Go to photo #2 of the tricycle on that page to see the head badge design that was most likely on your tricycle.

Dave

Here's another Hedstrom Tubecraft tricycle head badge decal photo similar to the link on my previous post. You can clearly see those openings in the rear step plate that was a Hedstrom design of that era. The decal shape matches the outline on your trike head tube exactly.

HedstromTubecraft1.jpg

Thank you so much. That's very cool to me since I love history. Yes, the tear drop shape on the rear step was one thing I was using during my search to try and find a match but couldn't. It is too bad the head badge is missing but I don't plan to restore it or I'm sure I could find a remake. Do you know if a lot of these were made? Thanks again.

Thank you so much. That's very cool to me since I love history. Yes, the tear drop shape on the rear step was one thing I was using during my search to try and find a match but couldn't. It is too bad the head badge is missing but I don't plan to restore it or I'm sure I could find a remake. Do you know if a lot of these were made? Thanks again.
Hedstrom made tricycles for many years - from the 1930s (possibly earlier?) to at least into the 1990s, I believe. The models like yours with the open step plate holes were produced from around the late 1930s into the 1940s. In later years the frame design changed and the main frame tube had a sharper bend behind the seat support, which is a design feature which helps ID newer Hedstroms if the name badge is missing. I've been collecting and researching tricycles since around 1990, and by studying design features of various makers have learned how to ID many of them that are missing head badges or decals. I still get stumped by some and it bugs me until I find the answer as to who made them.

Dave

Dave, thanks again. I do the same thing with artwork and other antiques. I find it interesting how one particular thing, in your case tricycles, appeal to someone so much that they want to collect them and learn as much as they can about them. Funny, I think this rusty tiny tricycle is beautiful. We own a lake house in NY that's 130 years old and it's barely been altered since it was built and I think spending summers there gave me my love of history and old things. Take care.

Back