When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, after several years of succesful transactions on E-bay, they finally stoled from me.

-
I do somtimes sell larger tems on ebay for local pickup only, When the buyer picks them up locally, as I fidget with my phone I somehow always manage to snap a picture of the buyer, and also there license plate without there concent. In addition to this I also print up paper work we both sign.

I never had a problem with a local buyer.

But if it ever hapens, I try to prepare myself.

bobcycles:

This buyer was not a purchaser of Bike related components, but if you are interested I can send you his name after the entire deal is compleated. I do not want to send names out just yet. as its still a ongoing process until the item is shipped back and returned.

It was a purchaser of vintage photography related equipment.

Last edited:
I sold a nice 67 Slik Chik in 2014 with a beautiful white seat. Worth by itself the cost of the whole bike. 10 days later they opened a case saying " not as describded"
got it shipped back with a purple seat!! Ebay / PP sided with them and basically and I got screwed. Had pics of before the deal and after the deal. Still the buyer is always right.BULL CRAP. Still pisses me off to this day.

keep us updated and other people comments.

Well, I havent sold but a few things via ebay over the years,I've given away a few things to members here in lieu of a few bucks.The only problem I've had with ebay was as a buyer. I bought a set of supposedly "Schwinn Classic" Cruiser fenders for a 26" m/w Schwinn. They were advertised with the "Schwinn Classic" tag in the pic. They show up without it which was kinda suspicious. I unrap the rear,try to install it. No way! Believe me,no way in hell were these Schwinn parts,LOL!! They werent even close,they were generic junk being passed off as good stuff. Same with the braces. I did get a refund but it wasnt without a bit of rangling. I still see these things once in a while when searching for other fenders.

Lately, buyers have been coming up with tiny little flaws or create a flaw on the items I sell them and immediately start shaking me down for refunds. It's an easy way to get my item for half price. It never happened for 18 years. Now, it's about every other item. And my stuff is the same quality as always.

what a bunch of crap! it has happened to me plus when I did call ebay to discuss the problem I had difficulty in understanding the person on the other end because the call was transferred to another country each time I called.....

funny stuff! ebay IS in a foreign country known as the San Francisco Bay Area. if you call any tech company nearby the odds of an American answering the phone are slim.

my city in the East Bay is majority foreign born/first generation "American". when I move I have been asked to take the flag with me.

ebay has been sucking since 1998 when they changed everything and screwed up the search function. I sold for 5 years straight, probably 3000 transactions, car parts, my old stash of bike parts which I wish I never sold, antiques and assorted old junk. only had two transactions I can really complain about. one guy bought a Hot Wheel from me in mint condition. he emailed saying there was a crack in the windshield I guess not knowing I had huge pictures of the car still on my computer, he wanted 20 bucks back or something, I just ignored that one. had another guy from the UK who bought a fancy pen I sold fro a friend. he emailed me twice saying to send it as a gift so he did not have to pay customs, then when I did not do that he claimed it never arrived but nice guy that he was he would split the loss and only requested 1/2 a refund.

I tell you one thing there are far fewer rip offs in the car parts - antiques- bicycles side of things than in electronics or other modern junk.

I knew it was going to happen eventually, It seems there is nothing I could do as a seller to enforce ebays own policy.

A while back I sold a item, and got a very positive review for it. About a week later I then had a return request that simply stated that buyer changed there mind. I thought no problem, go ahead and return it. (My policy is that the buyer pays return shipping).

Once the buyer found that they were responcible they closed the return request, and opened a snad case, and still admighted fault by saying "it did not have all the features they were looking for., and no longer wanted it". At this point I was not worried because I have read the return policy and thought I was safe.

Before a official ebay decision was made I called ebay, and made sure they documented that the buyer was orriginally happy with the purchase, and then later changed there mind. I told them I have no problem with a return, but do to there own policy I should not have to pay for the return.

Then about 4 hours later I got a message that said the case was closed in the buyers favor, and I had to send them a prepaid return label, or give a complete refund and let them also keep the item.

It would have been cheaper for me to just issue a complete refund and be done with it, but I did not want to support the buyers behavior, so I sent them a return lablel. Once I recieve the Item I'm going to end up paying shipping both ways, and will also have to refund the buyer the purchase price.

Note: Shipping two dirrections exceeds the purchase price of the item itself. Also the buyer did not keep my orriginal packaging, so the item is being sent back in a larger and heavier box, so I had to pay more to ship it back to me, than I did to ship it out. The first lable sent by ebay was not satifactory for the buyer do to this. On top of that I shipped it out using a ground service, and ebay required me to ship it back to myself using priority mail.

In the big picture it was not a super expensive item and its not the end of the world. I will continue selling there, but it is frustrating that they make no attempt to enforce there own policy. I only lost about 45$ in shipping costs. I just hope the item comes back in the same condition so I could re-sell it.

What kind of upsets me is this buyer never once even contacted me durring this whole process, and did everything behind the scene.

As a seller I would never list a really high dollar item on ebay that would cost alot to ship "Like a Bike", because there is way to much risk involved if they are not able to enforce there own return policy. As a e-bay buyer I would have no problem purchasing a bike, and I have done so a few times in the past without any issues.

I had the same poop happen on a NOS leather Harley Davidson helmet I never wore was new in the box kept in a closet in my house its whole life. The buyer said the foam protective liner disintegrated to nothing when they opened the box. Not a trace of it left inside the helmet I demanded they return it for review. EBAY granted this silly head a full refund including shipping because item was not as described. There is NO SELLER protection programs or policies for sellers. All the buyer has to say its not as described. I ebbed up with a useless helmet returned with all the foam protective liner missing. This silly head ruined a helmet any true Harley guy would have loved to own. He stole the foam protective liner for his use and returned me a useless shell. There was NO trace of any piece of foam liner at all so that tells me it came out clean new all in one piece. I try to sell all my items on Craigslist if I can now, that soured me to EBAY. I lost a easy $250 in that deal.

Back