When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were Phantoms ever skip tooth?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hoss

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a '52 Phantom that came with a sweetheart skiptooth sprocket. Is this correct?

Did Phantoms ever come with a skiptooth sprocket?
If so did they ever come with the sweetheart sprocket or always the phantom-style sprocket?
If not, how many teeth is the rear cog? (I'll need to buy one)
If not, how long of a chain do I need to get? (What would be correct?)

Thanks!

I didn't think they ever did. The Panther could have come in 1" early on but I've never seen a catalog image with a 1" Phantom, or even suggesting that they offered it. Though, there always seem to be exceptions with bicycles.

Last edited:
On my b6's ones skip tooth sweet heart and ones the 1/2 inch schwinn script "Phantom style"
I've seen an add for the 49 phantom with sweet heart, also a panther add with 1/2 inch sprocket , those was hand drawn adds and not actual pics so it could have been an artists rendition. Every panther I've seen had a sweetheart. Dx

My dad told me about the new Black Phantom he got in 1951 when his family moved to TX for a short time in search for employment, when he seen my original 1952 he remarked it looked very similar except he had a skip tooth chain on his.

I'd like to see a pic of the bike. I could be wrong but I don't believe the Phantom ever came with a skiptooth. Memories sometimes aren't as good as we like to think and they may have had a Panther and not a Phantom. V/r Shawn

phantom skip

normally they didn't come with skip tooth although for whatever reason some may have them,if its a resale issue in the bicycle world there are some things that are considerd corret,so selling a phantom with a skip tooth would be e difficult,there isn't a lot of documented info on how the bikes came so general consensus prevails

no never.

No Phantoms never came with a skiptooth. To have one on a phantom is a abomination. I have one of the first year Phantoms a 1950 Green Phantom with a 1949 frame date.

MY%201949%20GREEN%20SCHWINN%20EXCELSIOR%20PHANTOM.jpg

What about B-6's? I've seen the venerable Schwinn B-6 both ways. Did it

depend on the vendor?

Phantoms

What about B-6's? I've seen the venerable Schwinn B-6 both ways. Did it

depend on the vendor?

Schwinn dealers were the local hardwares,drugstores or auto shops. There was never a
Schwinn store back then when the phantoms were sold. There was not much consistency
so it may very well be that some phantoms were equipped with the skip-tooth .
Also I have seen several original phantoms from different years & the pin-striping on the
frames vary.

63t14wpng-1.jpg
25sv1g7-1.jpg

Zaz Von Schwinn

Back